Training my puppy to pee outside

Bossman27

Training my puppy to pee outside

Post by Bossman27 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:01 pm

I've had my puppy two weeks now and he is doing great, he hasn't pooped in the house once and he is getting along nice. However, I'm having a heck of a time teaching him to pee outside, it seems like he knows because every time I take him out - about every half hour - i say 'go potty' he pees and I tell him good boy and we come back in. However, every now and again he'll end up peeing in the house 5 minutes later. It has been cold as heck outside so he doesn't like going out right now but this is the longest I've had a pup still peeing in the house. He has yet to signal to me when he has to go out, any tips to get him to stop peeing in the house?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Training my puppy to pee outside

Post by Sharon » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:31 pm

I know when I come in from the cold I often have a sudden urge to pee. ( Don't tell anybody.)

You're doing everything right. As he gets older and the weather warms up, this will end.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

lightonthebay

Post by lightonthebay » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:13 pm

I agree time will take care of this; however, you might want to try whizzing on something yourself, after the pups first piss just to encourage a little more competitive/emulating flow from junior.

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:19 pm

lightonthebay wrote:I agree time will take care of this; however, you might want to try whizzing on something yourself, after the pups first piss just to encourage a little more competitive/emulating flow from junior.
Tell me you're joking!?!?!?!

Nitrex

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:56 pm

For a male dog Lightonthebay is right on. That is how I have done it with ALL my dogs I have potty trained and it works great for male dogs. Gives them something to "shoot for".
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:09 pm

Oh my God. Men and their pissing contests. Just do it in the dark so the cops don't pick you up.
Last edited by Sharon on Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

dawgmama

Post by dawgmama » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:33 pm

My pups usually took a while to learn to 'tell' me they had to go. They'd have their accidents by the back door, so I know they tried to tell me,and I missed it. Now with all our pups, we tie a bell on a string to the door knob,and every time we take them out we ring the bell, give them a tidbit of hot dog, and proceed to take them potty. It doesn't them long before they are ringing the bell to go out.If they do, make sure you give them their treat, to reinforce the behavior. Sometimes they keep ringing the bell, to get the treat, but if you take them out each and every time, it really makes them reliably potty-trained. Give it a try, it's fun. :)

Nan
"Dead Bird!! Fetch it up!!"
2 English Setters and a 'beasty boy' Wirehair pup in our family of hunters.