Roading Rig

windswept

Roading Rig

Post by windswept » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:39 pm

Didn't really want to hijack the Roading Help thread so I thought I'd just start a new one. I want to do some roading with the dogs and I have an ATV and plenty of access to country/gravel roads. My access to off road is very limited. The ATV is right at 4 foot wide and I want to road at least one dog on each side. How wide does my pole need to be? I am guessing a minimum of 10 foot. I am a little concerned about the road being wide enough for both me and the occassional car or truck that I would have to share the road with. I wish there was a way of roading the dogs in front of the ATV rather than next to it. Any ideas out there? Do any of you road on country roads?
Thanks much.
Tom

windswept

Re: Roading Rig

Post by windswept » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:23 pm

No responses?
Maybe I should have added "and what type of dog food is best for dogs after roading". :D :D

Casper

Post by Casper » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:38 pm

The ones I have seen were about the width of the of the ATV. So about 3 foot extension. Most have been square tubing so that they can slide into each other. They have drop chains with snaps just long enough to reach the dogs back.

This is coming from memory so nothing is accurate

Pineywoods

Post by Pineywoods » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:59 am

I have seen one that mounts to the front and can pivot up and down. It has a rubber tire caster on the front.
This rig can be used on two rut roads and the front end rises or falls on hills so it does not wack the dogs in
the back when you start up hill or pick them up off the ground as you top the hill.

I'm sorry I don't have any photos of this rig I'll try and take some next time I'm up there.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:34 am

Just run multiple dogs on the same side off one dropper - it's much easier for me to manage one bar sticking out on narrow roads vs. having one out each side. Use a free pivoting swivel to attach each of their individual leads keeps 'em from tangling.

glk7243

Post by glk7243 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:17 pm

I'm no roading expert like Doug. But this is what I put together this spring to excercise my mutts. I keep em on the right side and still have to pull over if a rig comes by.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:45 pm

I thought we decided neither of us knew what the heck we were doing and our dogs were in the worst shape ever after our summer roading programs!!?? :lol: :lol: I've done some investigating and cross examining of some conditioning experts and have a plan for gettin' it right this upcoming summer- I'll share it with ya', you might need a bigger motor in your ATV though...and get a helmet. :lol:

Still drives me nuts how that one style of harness rides up like that...??

glk7243

Post by glk7243 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:53 pm

DGFavor wrote:
Still drives me nuts how that one style of harness rides up like that...??
I bought it on a recomendation from a very successfull trialer

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:32 pm

I bought it on a recomendation from a very successfull trialer
Just imagine how much better he'd be if he'd use a respectable harness!!