E-Collar Newbie/Advice

Sailor Jerry

E-Collar Newbie/Advice

Post by Sailor Jerry » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:15 pm

Hey everyone!

I've been quite a forum browser for quite sometime, and finally decided I better chime in! I'm looking for some good opinions from everyone out there!

I'm training a Australian Shepard/Black Lab mix that I adopted from the ARL. She just turned a year old in November, and I have worked and worked with her. Surprisingly enough, she is smart! She has all the commands down, sit, shake, come, heel, drop and stay. Also, she is great at retrieving! She will play all day out in the snow and 10 degree weather all day long if I would let her! During the fall, I started working with her on a 50' check cord and a pheasant dummy w/ scent on it. We would go out to some local CRP areas, which allow dog training, and start working. The grass was 3-5 ft tall in all areas. She would sit, I throw it, she stays, I say "dead bird" and she's gone. Couple seconds later, I can see her pouncing up and down, and here she comes, bird in the mouth.

All seems well, right?

She is terrible at listening to the come command outside and off of the check cord. My only other option that I can think of is to purchase an e-collar for her. Just looking for some recommendations as I have never used one before, let alone trained a dog..until this one of course!

Just looking for some advice, helpful hints, tips, well, anything!!

I think I got lucky with her from the ARL. She acts all like a lab except her energy level! This darn dog doesn't quit!

natetnc

Re: E-Collar Newbie/Advice

Post by natetnc » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:31 pm

as long as you think she is mentally ready for it and knows the commands you are giving i don't see a problem.