Seeking Training Partner (Yakima, WA)

Sapper

Seeking Training Partner (Yakima, WA)

Post by Sapper » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:08 pm

I have a six month old English Springer Spaniel that has been started on birds. I am looking for someone in the Yakima area who is interested in training together. I am also getting a DD in May 2010. I have chukar, pheasants and pigeons for training. I am in the process of buying a DT launcher. I have a manual but my five year old daughter that loves to help me is a little slow on the pull. Thanks

GSPdude

Re: Seeking Training Partner (Yakima, WA)

Post by GSPdude » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:06 pm

Sapper,

It looks as though I am in the same position you were in last Dec. Are you still interested in getting together with folks in the Yakima area? I am in Naches, have a 6 mo GSP that I am training myself with a couple books, DVDs and faith in good breeding. I have been having a hard time finding people who want to train together. I have access to lots of space to train and shoot and what-not. Let me know if you might like to get together or know other folks in our area who are active in gun dog circles.

Thanks,

Chris
"A gun gives you the body, not the bird"
-H D Thoreau

bwjohn

Post by bwjohn » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:20 pm

I am in utah, so a little far to travel to train. But thought you might want to check out Wild west gun dog forum. I think that I have seen some people on there from Washington and Idaho, not for sure how far you are from Idaho.

brandon

GSPdude

Post by GSPdude » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:03 am

tcjack wrote:im in tri cities. i would be interested in training/ hunting together. i have a 2 year old gsp. my avatar dog. 8)
tcjack, I'd be interested. I don't have a ton of experience, but I do have a lot of enthusiasm as does my pup! a weekend trip to the Tri-cites could be fun...

cb
-H D Thoreau

jeff100

Post by jeff100 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:14 pm

Try asking the folks at the Hunt Washington forum, there's quite a few who live/hunt in the Yakima area.

http://hunting-washington.com/

Jeff

GSPdude

Post by GSPdude » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:05 pm

tcjack wrote:do you have acess to birds?
I have some pigeons. I can't breed them because I rent, so can't build a large loft, but have rigged up a small mew out of some apple bins. What kind of birds were you hoping for?

cb
-H D Thoreau

GSPdude

Post by GSPdude » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:54 pm

tcjack wrote:we need to get these dogs out on birds. i really like the looks of your dog, where did you get her
My wife's cousin's bitch had a litter, they sold 2 to pay for their costs, and gave the rest to friends and family. She comes from good hunting genes. Her parents both hunt every season, for every upland species. They pretty much only hunt, no trials or anything. Ruby (my dog) is real birdy, and I have been trying to get her on pigeons every chance I get. She holds a point to flush pretty well. I have been using "woah" for everything I want her to hold on for: food, going inside, treats...

I am going to get 20 or more pigeons this weekend, so I should have plenty. I got a couple manual bird launchers as well....
-H D Thoreau

GSPdude

Post by GSPdude » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:32 pm

tcjack,

wasn't sure if you saw that I sent a PM. Got some good ideas on where to go for training, and hunting. Gimmie a shout.

cb
-H D Thoreau