no wind?

PA_Sportsman

no wind?

Post by PA_Sportsman » Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:06 am

Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:18 am Post subject: bird training-no wind

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How do you bird train if there is swirling wind or no wind at all? Last evening I wanted to get my pup out on some pigeons but I never got a steady wind to bring her in crosswind. With this situation, I didn't bother to take her out. We worked on steady to shot instead.

How do you handle this situation or do you just bag it and wait for a better day? It doesn't make sense to bag it since there will be some days that we'll be hunting in these situations, but my guess is that she'd have to get close to scent the bird and this might create a bad habit of trying to get too close. Thoughts??

Thanks

icefire

Post by icefire » Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:12 am

I would bag it and wait for another day. make it a day for play retrieve or handling drills or just a walk instead of bird work. yes, there will be days in trials or hunting with poor conditions like that but if she is still a young pup or early in her training she is not ready for that. better fewer good lessons then more mediocre lessons.