Rubber Dog Boots

jsc11700

Rubber Dog Boots

Post by jsc11700 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:49 am

I am considereing ordering some rubber dog boots for my pointer. His pads are constantly getting cut up, even after using pad toughener and running him on concrete pre-season. I hunt extremely steep and rocky terrain for chukar in Oregon and my concern is that the rubber boots will hinder his balance and footing, but I have no other solution to keep the poor guy from being miserable after a hunt. Does anybody have any expereince using rubber dog boots? Also how can I get him used to wearing them without him thinking it is the end of the world? (He is a big Baby about stuff like this)

bobbaganoosh

Re: Rubber Dog Boots

Post by bobbaganoosh » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:09 pm

Have you considered using nylon dog shoes? They're pretty tuff and the dog will have better grip with his feet (better balance) than with the rubber boots.

bmacinok

Post by bmacinok » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:12 pm

They work well, they walk kind of funny when you put them on, but they get used to them. We like them as the sand, etc. will fall out of them when they pick up their feet, instead of it staying in the bottom of a normal boot and rubbing their pads. Here is how we make our boots:

http://www.oknavhda.com/boots.htm

And a pic of the finished product:

bm

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:38 pm

In my opinion the nylon boots are a waste of money as they do not seem to hold up to much punishment at all. Rubber boots are the way to go. I prefer Owens boots.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:24 pm

ACooper wrote:In my opinion the nylon boots are a waste of money as they do not seem to hold up to much punishment at all. Rubber boots are the way to go. I prefer Owens boots.

The nylon fabric type that are constructed like a sock? If so those do wear fast but they are good for rehabilitation. The really good kind are made by a company callled Ruffwear, but I don't know how much JSC wants to spend. There are others that are similar to the Ruffwear boots. They are worth a try. I saw an agility dog using those and they looked like they would fall off but they worked great.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:41 am

bmacinok wrote:They work well, they walk kind of funny when you put them on, but they get used to them. We like them as the sand, etc. will fall out of them when they pick up their feet, instead of it staying in the bottom of a normal boot and rubbing their pads. Here is how we make our boots:

http://www.oknavhda.com/boots.htm

And a pic of the finished product:

bm
Problem I have with the tube boots is that they wear off all the hair on top of the dogs toes. A guy told me to put a baby sock on the dogs foot first and it would protect the toes. I'd personally just order the lewis boots.

I agree with AC, those cordura boots don't last. I went through a set every two days in the Dakotas and that was only pheasant in the Dakotas, not chukar.

Another thing, I wouldn't be conditioning my dog on concrete. Run him on gravel roads and you'll end up with tougher pads.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:05 am

just double over the motorcycle tube- duct tape- never have any trouble- except maybe moisture/sweatImage

I've also got two sets of Scott's Nylon Dog Boots - starting to show some wear but happy with their lasting this long

plus- made a set for the pups out of old hunting pant legs