GSP between legs upon gun shot

Orangecrush

GSP between legs upon gun shot

Post by Orangecrush » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:49 am

Took my new 3-yr-old out for the first time last weekend. Original owner said he was trained and had been shot over and he showed promise during the off season. I did notice one thing that I can't decide what to think of it.

When I would shoot at a bird, he'd come running back and stand behind me or between my legs. Then it would take another 50 feet of walking before he'd go out front and run again. He was hunting in front of someone else for a while when the same thing happened to him.

What would you make of this situation? I don't have much history of the dog and his previous hunting experiences.
"You've got to say, I think that if I keep working at this and want it badly
enough I can have it. It's called perseverance."
~ Lee Iacocca ~

topher40
GDF Junkie

Re: GSP between legs upon gun shot

Post by topher40 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:58 am

Any new dog you deal with should be approached with caution. Meaning start out with them like you would a puppy, intro to guns, birds, and collar to see what their reaction is. Because a guy says a dog is something doesnt mean it is.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:16 am

"What would I make of the situation?" I'd say the dog is very close to being gunshy. Don't shoot any more. Take Topher's good advice and introduce the gun from scratch . Follow the plan.
Last edited by Sharon on Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:48 am

I agree with the previous posters. Are you only shooting birds he points or are the shots that sending him running back to you those shot on wild flushes or finds he's not involved in? It could be he was previously exposed and handled it ok if he was shot over on his own with birds he found or was in pursuit of.

adogslife

Post by adogslife » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:20 pm

Well, now you know why he was for sale.
You didn't mention how he does on retreives of shot birds or if he gives chase.

adogslife

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:04 pm

Sharon wrote:I'd say the dog is very close to being gunshy.
So what would you call gunshy?

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:11 pm

Running back to the truck, hiding underneath & shaking the whole time might be one. Refusing to hunt when weapons are visible might be another.

Orangecrush, How long have you had your new three year old? Just wondering how much time it's had to adjust to its new owner and new surroundings before you took it out hunting.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

adogslife

Post by adogslife » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:34 pm

Wait a minute. The dog needs to adjust to a new home and surroundings before you can take it hunting?
The previous owner said he shot over him but did he happen to say the dog's reaction. Truthfully, the previous doesn't sound as if he lied he just left out key facts.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:51 pm

slistoe wrote:
Sharon wrote:I'd say the dog is very close to being gunshy.
So what would you call gunshy?

LOL Oh, no. I'm not having you lead me into that discussion. You know away more about the subject then I do. I'll look like the idiot. LOl
Oh well, it wouldn't be the first time.

I wanted to say the dog WAS gunshy, but said "very close to being gunshy " in order to be gentle with the poster
. Gunshy meaning uncomfortable around the gun with that uncomfortableness being able to be expressed in a variety of ways from bolting to.....

Okay, go for it. :) :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:01 pm

Looks like you have it covered quite nicely.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:05 pm

Thank you. :mrgreen:

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:54 am

Stop shooting over him for now, the gun and the dog need some distance between them. I dont live very far from you, bring that dog out and I will see if I can help you out. With two people and birds we can get his attention on the birds and have the shooter stand back as far as needed.

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:11 am

ACooper wrote:Stop shooting over him for now, the gun and the dog need some distance between them. I dont live very far from you, bring that dog out and I will see if I can help you out. With two people and birds we can get his attention on the birds and have the shooter stand back as far as needed.
Orangecrush~
That's a very generous offer, you need to take him up on that for sure !! Always nice to get to meet good dog people willing to help out. The best way to learn is to work with somebody who has "been there, done that."

This board has some very good advice from some very good people, but there's nothing like being there in person.

Doug

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:43 am

adogslife wrote: the previous doesn't sound as if he lied he just left out key facts.
This is probably one of my favorite areas to pick on. I'm not picking on adogslife at all. This is just a general comment about how amazing it is to me that any individual will omit key facts and believe it's okay. IMO misleading anyone by omitting information is no better than lieing outright.This is one of the huge differences between responsible dog breeders, owners and trainers and the irresponsible ones no one should have to deal with.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:10 pm

Exactly, Big Shooter.
Very generous offer from ACooper. If it was me I'd be there to-morrow before he changed his mind. :) He's very knowledgeable.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:56 pm

Sharon wrote:Exactly, Big Shooter.
Very generous offer from ACooper. If it was me I'd be there to-morrow before he changed his mind. :) He's very knowledgeable.

Well thanks for the compliment Sharon, I dont know how knowledgable I am but at the very least I can be an extra pair of hands and eyes.

Orangecrush

Post by Orangecrush » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:19 pm

I don't think the original owner omitted any facts. I'm confident he did very little to train this dog to hunt. He said the dog had been shot over but I now believe it wasn't in a hunting situation with 12 ga shotguns. Now that I think about it...the previous owner may have kept the dog at his side during the recreational shooting to keep him safe and out of the line-of-fire. Now, when I shoot, the dog thinks his position should be at my feet and not out in the field. Could that be a possible cause? The dog doesn't act scared of the gun. He just retreats at the sound of one firing.

ACooper, I'd love to take you up on your offer. Are you a member of the OKNAVDA?
"You've got to say, I think that if I keep working at this and want it badly
enough I can have it. It's called perseverance."
~ Lee Iacocca ~

daniel77

Post by daniel77 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:28 pm

I have quite a few Horses that you can fire a shotgun off of....Once. :mrgreen:

Sorry, but I couldn't resist. You obviously have a problem, and now you can work on it. Whatever did or didn't happen to the dog previously, while possibly unfortunate, is irrelevant and unchangeable. Start where you are and continue. Good luck
Two cannibals were eating a clown. One looks up at the other and says, "Does this taste funny to you?"

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:12 pm

I am a member of OKNAVHDA, you should really consider joining, there are a bunch of great guys and gals, people who have trained and handled their own, VC, UT and MH and FC dogs. They are a bunch of good honest helpful folks.

Let me know when you want to come out, my work scheduled has changed some from when I posted previous, but I still am able to help.