Fetch

grant
GDF Junkie

Fetch

Post by grant » Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:04 am

It seems that Bell only wants to fetch birds now. In the past, she would fetch anything! Now, when I tap her on the head she darts toward the object, but when she sees that its not a bird she just ignores it. :evil:

Carl will go and grab whatever I get him to fetch, but he drops it on the way back. :x

It made me SO mad I had to quit for the day. They just picked up these habits. I guess I'm going to start working on force fetch that I learned at Brenda Roe and Rich Hopkins training seminar....

Grant

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:36 am

Pups go through a rebellious stage, and it sounds like Bell is entering it. They like to test you...all the time. When I get my dogs that do that, I pick up whatever it is they're supposed to be retrieving and end it. That's it. If they don't want to do what they're supposed to, then we don't play retrieve any more. They get the hint. If she was retrieving good before, I wouldn't jump into the force fetch method, unless you're aiming that towards Carl. Has he ever retrieved to hand with you? I also make the sessions real short, say 10-15 minutes at a time. Even when they are strung high on retreiving, I stop...always want to leave them wanting more, you know. :)

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:51 am

Carl and Bell both have retrieved to hand when a bird is in their mouth. I guess this because they like to have the bird and they want to keep it as long as possible =)

Its just when I though the dummy out that they run past it and go looking for birds...

icefire

Post by icefire » Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:29 am

Grant,

At this stage I would not worry about it to much. they are both young! be glad that you have a couple of dogs that are fine with feathers! I had a dog that didn't mind retrieving but did not like feathers in her mouth. she was FF'd and will do it now but still does not like it. If you are going to trial, then I would suggest (when they are ready) to FF them. If all you are going to do is use them as hunters the hassel of ff is probably not worth it. keep it short, keep it fun, take the bird away and end the session while they are still excited about it and I would not worry to much at this stage.
Justin

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:51 am

You might want to put them back on the cord to fetch with the dummies...they will learn that no matter what they retrieve, they need to bring it back to you and not just the birds...and it'll still be fun because you'll be throwing it out for them again, which is what they want to happen in the first place.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Thu Jun 03, 2004 6:03 pm

I agree with Justin here Grant. Don`t worry about it, let `em grow up some more. Definatly don`t push it or put any pressure on it, keep it happy. Be VERY glad they like feathers, you don`t know how many I see that don`t.
brenda