HELP!!!!!

bigbuddybretz

HELP!!!!!

Post by bigbuddybretz » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:40 pm

I have a two year old pure bred yellow lab and he has a great nose loves flushing pheasents but would like him to slow down alittle and point for me do you guys have any suggestions that would help me out here anything please Thanks.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Re: HELP!!!!!

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:42 pm

There's one way to slow a lab down, and that's to teach him to sit to the whistle. When he gets on a bird and is getting out of range, sit him. He should also know to turn to the whistle on two blasts. That's it. You CAN'T physically slow him down, nor should you.

All you want to do is keep him in range.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

bigbuddybretz

Post by bigbuddybretz » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:53 pm

Hes not really like out of control you know he stays in range and checks in often i use a e collaor on him its just i want him to point insted of just flushing. Understand or not really? its kind of hard to explain

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:13 pm

Did you buy this dog as a "pointing lab"? Is that why you want him to point ? Labs flush on upland game, they don't point

If you did buy him as a "pointing lab" and he isn't pointing then I'd say you didn't get what you paid for. You can't make something into what it isn't.
Last edited by Sharon on Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:13 pm

[quote="bigbuddybretz"]I have a two year old pure bred yellow lab and he has a great nose loves flushing pheasents but would like him to slow down a little and point for me do you guys have any suggestions

Labs are made to flush, it's in his genes. I know there are pointing Labs , but if yours is 2yrs and loves to flush that is what I would expect from him.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:17 pm

Get a pointer if you want a point :wink: I have trained Labs to point by Whoa breaking them real good and when they make scent (on a CC) Whoa him. Enough of this and he will learn you want him to Stop on scent.
brenda

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:34 pm

A lab is most specifically a FLUSHING breed, not a pointing breed. Even when buying a pointing lab from a top kennel, you may get one that doesn't point. Be happy with what you have and don't try to train him to be something he isn't. You may end up with nothing.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

bigbuddybretz

Post by bigbuddybretz » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:15 pm

Thanks guys i bought him thinking i could make him point but its not really a big deal hes got a heck of a nose on him and will hunt for days thanks for the help

Rick Hall

Post by Rick Hall » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:08 am

Perhaps this link will be helpful: Teaching Labs to Point
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2009-2010 season log)