Barbed Wire

andreasrossouw

Barbed Wire

Post by andreasrossouw » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:31 am

Just wondering how your dogs handle barbed wire? Because we often climb through the barbed wire fence to get to another field.
He(Baron) got introduced to the barbed fence this weekend and he climbs under but catches the barb but it only pulls out hair and it looks
like he doesnt even realize. But he has a very dence coat even for a labrador and im scared he will in the future be too excited and hurt himself.

Is there anything i can do from my side or should he learn it by himself?

twofeathers

Re: Barbed Wire

Post by twofeathers » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:53 am

A freind of mine would always heel his dog before crossing and in his pack he kept a foot or so piece of heavy canvas material that he would wrap around the barbs on the lowest rung of wire then pull up on the fence and have his dog cross underneath. Some dogs will instinctively look for lower spots or missing bottom rungs and cross on thier own. It's not a bad idea to have fence crossing as a training excersise as vet trips can get expensive.

twofeathers

Post by twofeathers » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:13 am

I also forgot to add that having some first aid materials with you while hunting is a good idea. Just incase.

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:10 am

My britts have been going through barbwire all the time without any serious problems. I have never seen them lunge through it. They tend to slow down before crossing. My bet is that your dog will or has learned to move safely through the wire.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:45 am

I think there are some things a dog has to learn on it's own and they normally do a good job of it with minor problems at the worse. If the dogs are running towards a fence that is well hidden I will slow them down but that is about the only thing I do and have never had a problem.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

westexasrepublic

Post by westexasrepublic » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:53 am

we got shot in Texas for crossing barbwire fences. I call them away every time in fear of an upset land owner. Plus most of the time The bob wire fences here are to tight to go under even for a dog.
Last edited by westexasrepublic on Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Soouthland's Duke of Hearts
Little Lady Maple

ImageEdit This PedigreeGet Your Free Pedigree Today! WEST TEXAS

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:55 am

ezzy333 wrote:I think there are some things a dog has to learn on it's own and they normally do a good job of it with minor problems at the worse. If the dogs are running towards a fence that is well hidden I will slow them down but that is about the only thing I do and have never had a problem.

Ezzy
same here, gotta warn them if they can't see it.

will never forget the first intro my female got, the fence was clearly visible and she nailed it, looked like it hurt her feelings, from then on she has never had any more problems with them.

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:56 am

westexasrepublic wrote:we got shot in Texas for crossing barbwire fences. I call them away every time in fear of an upset land owner. Plus most of the time The bob wire fences here are to tight to go under even for a dog.
if you don't cross a fence in KS your not hunting :)

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:11 am

With a shorter, heavier coated dog like a Brit it's less of a problem. Some of the thin coated breeds have some leggy dogs in them. With a young dog I'll usually slow them down the first few times, lift a strand and send them through. They catch on pretty quick. I had a young dog go through a fence quickly before she really knew what barbed wire was all about and she unzipped about three inches of skin along her backbone. That's the last time she was ever cut by a fence.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

windswept

Post by windswept » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:02 am

twofeathers wrote:A freind of mine would always heel his dog before crossing and in his pack he kept a foot or so piece of heavy canvas material that he would wrap around the barbs on the lowest rung of wire then pull up on the fence and have his dog cross underneath. Some dogs will instinctively look for lower spots or missing bottom rungs and cross on thier own. It's not a bad idea to have fence crossing as a training excersise as vet trips can get expensive.
Man, I can't imagine carrying extra stuff like that for every little thing you might run into. Fences have never been a problem for any of my dogs.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:50 am

natetnc wrote:
westexasrepublic wrote:we got shot in Texas for crossing barbwire fences. I call them away every time in fear of an upset land owner. Plus most of the time The bob wire fences here are to tight to go under even for a dog.
if you don't cross a fence in KS your not hunting :)
I have been crossing barbed wire fences while hunting, for 50 years, but I always make sure I have permission to hunt that property. It would be wrong to cross a fence of any type, if you do not have pemission.

That being said, I have never had a dog receive any sort of injury from the barbed wire. They have always just jumped over the top or found space underneath.
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:24 pm

Usually I have found that experience is the best teacher. Usually once or twice will a dog get cut up on wire before they start to really look for it. In most cases is not the tight 3-4 strand wire that causes the problem, but a fence that has 13-14 tangled strands and looks more like concertina wire than a livestock fence. MY family's farm in Iowa is known for this tangled mess. "Why replace a broken strand of wire when you can just add more!"

I have never done it but have thought about putting up a 10-12 run of 2-3 strand fence in the yard for the pups to get used to. Sure there might be a nick or two but they should learn about fence without ruining a hunting trip or needing to go to find a vet at odd hours. The reason I have thought about this is that if anyone ever watches a farm dog navigate fence it is something to sit back and admire. They can go full speed at a fence, turn thier body to go between the strands without missing a beat. Or respect it and slowly negotiate the strands.

If anyone has ever done this please share the experience.

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:39 pm

BigShooter wrote:With a shorter, heavier coated dog like a Brit it's less of a problem. Some of the thin coated breeds have some leggy dogs in them.

Have you seen my britts. They might be a bit smaller but not they wouldn't be called heavy coated. :wink:

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:56 pm

No I haven't seen your Britts and really can't tell anything from the pictures but if I get to Utah you can show me your dogs, preferably afield. :D

Have you seen a few Weims, GSPs & Vizlas? We could compare average coats & leg length with the average Britt. 8)

Around MN & the Dakotas the dogs usually try to slip between the strands. I've seen a few horse sized Weims and GSPs - I'm guessing their owners have to spread the strands for them on every fence. :lol:
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

dghunt

Post by dghunt » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:46 pm

Wish roles would reverse and my dog would guide me through the wire... I tend to get cut/tear clothing on em more than my dog does! :D

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:20 pm

I found a dead beagle hung up on the barbed wire once. Very upsetting. Just one more thing to worry about when you let your dog go. To me a garmin Astro GPS is essential.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:55 am

birddogger wrote:I have been crossing barbed wire fences while hunting, for 50 years, but I always make sure I have permission to hunt that property. It would be wrong to cross a fence of any type, if you do not have pemission.
on the WMA i hunt in KS there are fences everywhere, crossing them will not put you on private land, guess that was the point i was trying to make.

Scolopax

Post by Scolopax » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:13 am

My EP goes under them, through them and on occassion...over them! (4 strand). The last time he zipped through the middle of one he put a decent cut on his belly and he slows down enough now to avoid any problems...it only takes them once or twice to learn what a barb-wire fence is.
The death of a hunting dog is only made tolerable by the memory of his life...

hpvizslas

Post by hpvizslas » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:17 pm

Sharon wrote:I found a dead beagle hung up on the barbed wire once. Very upsetting. Just one more thing to worry about when you let your dog go. To me a garmin Astro GPS is essential.
How can the Astro GPS help with Barbed wire fences???

Sharon did you get a new job with Garmin?? Just Kidding, I had to ask before someone else did.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:41 pm

LOL Well. If I can't find my dog and I have an Astro, I'm going to be able to find my dog. LOL As I mentioned above, I found a dead beagle caught up on a barbed wire fence. If that owner had had an Astro he would have have found that dog. You have to be able to think like a woman. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:13 pm

Sharon wrote:LOL Well. If I can't find my dog and I have an Astro, I'm going to be able to find my dog. LOL As I mentioned above, I found a dead beagle caught up on a barbed wire fence. If that owner had had an Astro he would have have found that dog. You have to be able to think like a woman. :)
You know we don't have the ability to do that Sharon. :lol: :lol:

Charlie

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:19 pm

natetnc wrote:
birddogger wrote:I have been crossing barbed wire fences while hunting, for 50 years, but I always make sure I have permission to hunt that property. It would be wrong to cross a fence of any type, if you do not have pemission.
on the WMA i hunt in KS there are fences everywhere, crossing them will not put you on private land, guess that was the point i was trying to make.
Yeah natetnc, I knew the point you were making. I was sort of backing up your point. My comment was directed toward the poster that said he got shot at. He was apparently crossing fences that he shouldn't be. :wink:

Charlie

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:18 pm

birddogger wrote:
Sharon wrote:LOL Well. If I can't find my dog and I have an Astro, I'm going to be able to find my dog. LOL As I mentioned above, I found a dead beagle caught up on a barbed wire fence. If that owner had had an Astro he would have have found that dog. You have to be able to think like a woman. :)
You know we don't have the ability to do that Sharon. :lol: :lol:

Charlie
I know. :wink:

andreasrossouw

Post by andreasrossouw » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:18 am

I am the one who got stuck in the barb and lost a good shirt. Baron was already through and was giving me some encouragement. I figured that he would learn it on his own but i think it can happen that it surprises a dog the first time they encounter it and looses an eye etc.
And some of those barbed wire fencing are really rusty and could only do damage if not introduced to it properly.

Some time ago when we went hunting the dog we were with(GSP) went flying through the fence it didn't get hurt or anything. But we all thought it did and got through the fence and went around a bush to see if the dog was okay. When we got around we saw that it was pointing the bush. We all got ready and the handler told the dog to flush. The dog just held and held its point. When the handler raised his voice the dog looked around and we didnt know what it was suggesting but realized afterwards. He just would not move and held his point. Then 2 of us went to flush
and it was a jackal and ran towards me and almost brushed my leg as it went past me.The dog just looked at us and moaned still holding his point not knowing what it just ran into.

Barbed wire always reminds me of that dog and the speed he gets through the wire. And he never gets a scratch.
Thanks for advice...

luke0927

Post by luke0927 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:12 am

most of the ones i go to are are 6 strands and you can't climb through...i just have to drop the dog over the fence.

Rick Hall

Post by Rick Hall » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:39 am

Dealing with barbed wire is just another part of both my pointing and retrieving pups' socialization process. We start working around and through it early and often, and, knock wood, at ten gun dogs and counting, we've yet to have a serious barbed wire injury.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2009-2010 season log)