retrieving and training

fishhut

retrieving and training

Post by fishhut » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:50 pm

i have a ten month old lab and had been training her myself and just hit a brick wall about three weeks ago. she had been retrieving well on land and in the water and all at once she won't bring the bumper back to me. if we are in the water she just swims for 30 min. until she is tired with the bumper in her mouth. She will not bring it to me. In the yard she runs to the bumper and just lays down and looks at me. She refuses to bring it back which she had been doing before without problems. I've tried training collars and tasty treats but she still won't bring back the bumper. can anyone help? i've never trained a dog before. Thought we were doing good for awhile. Not sure what happened.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Re: retrieving and training

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:34 pm

It's a combination issue of obedience training and force fetch. Buy either Evan Graham's program or Fowl Dawgs and follow them religiously.

You dog is beginning to exert it's independence, they all do it.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

fishhut

Post by fishhut » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:38 pm

thanks maybe i will order fawl dawgs online, heared good things about the dvd's
we still have to work on the stay command, she tries to run before the bumper hit the water
i have a sportdog training collar should i use it every time i takke her out and train.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:40 pm

fishhut wrote:i have a sportdog training collar should i use it every time i takke her out and train.
Do NOT use that collar on her for anything until you have watched Fowl Dawgs. I'd order both 1 and 2.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Hooks and bullets

Post by Hooks and bullets » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:35 am

For the hunter looking for a good retriever training video, these two are by far the best.
www.duckdogbasics.com http://www.finelineretrievers.com/video.html

fratelle

Post by fratelle » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:23 pm

Hi,
Due to me living in Australia it is a long process to buy stuff from the USA as we do not have much in the way of training eqipment. I am thinking of getting these DVD's do all you guys reccomend them.

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:50 pm

fratelle wrote:Hi,
Due to me living in Australia it is a long process to buy stuff from the USA as we do not have much in the way of training eqipment. I am thinking of getting these DVD's do all you guys reccomend them.
Shipping to Australia hasn't been too slow for us. My friend Peter Betteridge (Sydney) is a very fine retriever man who has all my books and DVD's. He can fill you in first hand, and even show them to you. Great guy. If you have any field trial contacts, anyone would know him. Another would be Graeme Parkinson (Murrumbateman), who won the National Retrieving Championship in '05. Give 'em a G'day for me, and let me know if I can be of help!

EvanG
www.rushcreekpress.com
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
Official Evan Graham Retriever Training Forum

perezalf

Post by perezalf » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:19 pm

fratelle

Post by fratelle » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:48 pm

EvanG wrote:
fratelle wrote:Hi,
Shipping to Australia hasn't been too slow for us. My friend Peter Betteridge (Sydney) is a very fine retriever man who has all my books and DVD's. He can fill you in first hand, and even show them to you. Great guy. If you have any field trial contacts, anyone would know him. Another would be Graeme Parkinson (Murrumbateman), who won the National Retrieving Championship in '05. Give 'em a G'day for me, and let me know if I can be of help!

EvanG
http://www.rushcreekpress.com
Thankyou for your reply I had a look at your website but dont know which DVD to buy. I have a male GSP 15mths old is going thru his Pointing training and some basic obedience has been introduced to water and the gun. Does very basic retrieve with dummies but with fresh birds the chase is on meaning its a big game of catch me if you can and I clearly cannot catch him not that I try

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:50 am

Start with Smartwork Obedience and SmartFetch. Get his obedience sharp first, obviously! :D Then progress through SmartFetch. Those skills will serve you both well for many years.

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
Official Evan Graham Retriever Training Forum

MadMax

Post by MadMax » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:09 pm

Dogs are very intelligent animals. I was training with my 8mo old Springer Spaniel and threw out a bumper for him to retrieve. He retrieved it twice and delivered on hand with no problem, on the third try he ran to the bumper ran back halfway and stopped. He would not come towards me, I made the mistake of walking up to him, and for some unexplainable reason I gave him a treat. When we tried another retrieve he would go fetch and would stop at the same spot everytime and would not come to me. When he made the first mistake I should not have treated him. I gave him the impression that what he did was good, so everytime I threw out the bumper he would come back and sit at the same spot that I had treated him. To make a long story short I was able to brake him away from it.

stetson82

Post by stetson82 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:25 pm

i hate to say this but that is common in labs usually starts around a year or just before. you will think they forgot everything you taught them. go back to retrieving on a long line and dont let them get away with it. or it will develop into a bigger problem later. and as mentioned before continue your ff schedule it teaches alot of discipline in a controlled enviroment.