What to expect

NorthernGSP

What to expect

Post by NorthernGSP » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:32 pm

Hi everyone, was just wondering what i should expect during my first hunting season. I have a 6 month old GSP male. He has been allowed to be just a pup other than basic commands in the house. He has been on wild birds since july and is still not sure what to do. On our long walks in the woods he was allowed to what he wanted, no talking just letting him do what he wanted, and he has been shot over while chasing partridge. I have just started to do yard training. I have no expectations cause he is young, but when will it all click for him.

Kmack

Re: What to expect

Post by Kmack » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:20 pm

I have no expectations cause he is young, but when will it all click for him.
One opinion:
Your expectations are as they should be for the first season. It will "click" in bits and pieces until he is laid to rest. Be observant and enjoy the clicks...

Dennmor

Re: What to expect

Post by Dennmor » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:55 pm

My Munsterlander was 7 mos old when we went on our first Dove hunt. By then we had been playing, find the bumper and whoa, for months.
Doves can be confusing for young pups because they aren't used to looking skyward for the prey!
It took half of the first day for Moses to realize where the birds were coming from. He retrieved 'em, yucky feathers and all!
Shortly after that we went to a "game farm" and he figured that out in no time.

Don't feel like you have to let him just run around and be a puppy period. Sure, always have fun but start teaching him about hunting, right out of the gate. Play hunting games with him always, and your 6 mos. pup should already be used to lots of loud noises so that gunfire isn't a problem either. Every time Moses found and pointed a hidden bumper, I would YELL, "BANG BANG!!" before I'd throw it. He got use to that very quickly and would stay until I released him. He did this by 4-5 months

With no disrespect intended, I think if you have just one dog and plenty of time to spend with him, you have an advantage over those having to train a few. You spend a lot of time with the pup and get a closer more trusting relationship. Consequently, I think they can learn more and learn quicker.
By the time Moses was 8mos. we were a hunting team. Yeh, a rookie hunting team, but we were out there having fun and getting better each and every time.

I'm sure I've said enough. 8)

Just don't be afraid to go ahead and both teach and start to hunt while you're letting them be puppies. These dogs can have fun, be a puppy, and still learn to hunt at the same time!
Did I mention how they like to run off trailing a pheasant or chasing a rabbit? :roll: That's when the e-collar becomes a very sound investment!
But that's another story! :P

later,
dennmor

Moses pointing a bumper at 4 mos.

Moses first Dove hunt at 7 mos.

Rather hunt without a gun than without a dog!

Image Image Image