Best budget e-collar

scott_r

Best budget e-collar

Post by scott_r » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:58 pm

What do you guys reccomend for a good budget e-collar? Im picking up my GSP pup here in a few weeks and evn though I doubt I'll need one for a while I always keep my eyes open for sales ect.. Ive heard good things about Tri-Tronics...how about other companies?

Cheers!!

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Best budget e-collar

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:05 am

save up your money and get a tri tronics :wink:

the Sport Basic or for a little more the classic 70
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Boxa

Post by Boxa » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:33 am

I agree, spend a little more on the front end and buy tritronics. Or, buy 4 or 5 different collars and then end up with a tri-tronics after the others quit on you.
Caleb F. Bryson
Bryson's Boxa Kennel

FC/AFC Bryson's Boxa Briarpatch Baby SH
FC/AFC Bryson's Boxa Lucky St. Lindy SH
DC/AFC Bryson's Boxa Wendell W. Woodbriar

Fair Fields

Post by Fair Fields » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:27 am

I would suggest checking out the reconditioned list at Collar Clinic. I bought a G3 from them a few months back and it is great. By buying reconditioned I saved over $80. It still comes with a warrantly in some cases.

kumate

Post by kumate » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:21 am

I have a dogtra 2300 3/4 mile range waterproof reciever and transmitter, for 269.00. adjustable from 1-127. Dogtras customer service is great my battery wasnt holding a charge in the transmitter at the end of warranty. I sent in the collar and tranmitter and they sent them both back with new batterys in both.

Jerry

scott_r

Post by scott_r » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:29 am

Im going to pick up the Tri Tronics G3 but am wondering if it would be worthwhile getting the Upland edition with beeper? I know that you can't add a beeper to the Sport Basic but are beepers worth the $100 extra $$

Cheers!!

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:30 pm

you can run the beeper with the basic you just can't control the on and off with it which with the Classic 70 you can

Only reason I prefer the constant stimulation buttons over the momentary is I control the amount of stimulation with my fingers so if i need longer I hold down if I need momentary I depress and release..that way I have what I need when I need it with out the fumbling around looking for extra buttons or toggle switches

if you think you need to have fancy more levels the pro 100 would be the best way to go as you have 3 levels at control of you fingers at any one time by how you depress the buttons .... JMHO
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:57 pm

I have an OLD Flyway Special and really am partial to the unit. Most of my corrections are momentary and the Flyway, like the Pro 200 has 18 levels of momentary stim.

I saw on the Tritronics website that they were selling out the G2 models for a significant discount. This is a top of the line model, from a top of the line manufacturer which should give you many years of reliable service pretty much for the price of an economy trainer.

The other option was Collar Clinic which offered reconditioned G2 TT units with a 6 month warranty(from Collar Clinic) for about half what you would have to pay for a brand new G3. I am not a huge fan of collar Clinic because their reconditioned units are only as good as the tech that worked on it. However, if an e-collar gets used regularly, you will find out if there are any problems well within the six months, and once a TriTronics is working properly, it just keeps on keepin' on. They are rugged and reliable.

RayG

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:49 pm

Hang loose for a couple months. TriTronics is introducing a new "Sport" type collar for about $169 in August.
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:28 am

Scott, you have any details on this new Sport model? Are they changing up the design any, or just new features?

Thanks,
Chip

Ewok2

Post by Ewok2 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:28 am

I've heard alot of good about Tri-Tronics. Scott: Any more information about the new Sport?

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:50 am

Just a little heads up here, I called TT, and they are launching the new sport on the website tomorrow, with a shipping date of August sometime. They were pretty tight lipped about the whole thing, so we'll have to wait until tomorrow to see it.

Chip

natel24

Post by natel24 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:21 pm

i have a sportdog brand sporthunter 800 that i bought at farm and fleet onsale for 169$ and it works awesome, havn't had one problem with it, both the collar and the controller are both waterproof, has 8 levels of stimulation and a beeper, 1/2mile range. i would recommend it to anyone.
natel24
"My dogs not perfect, but i'm not a perfect shot either."
"I'd rather go hunting without a gun than without my dog."

Ewok2

Post by Ewok2 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:30 pm

Tri-Tronics new SPORT JUNIOR model is now showing on their web site. It has 1/4 mile range, smaller receiver with lights, continuous and momentary buttons. MSRP = $188 but they're selling it directly for $169. I'm going to try it.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:58 pm

I am thinking of ordering also for puppy intro stuff and so I can leave that one in the yard and have my pro out in the field

I am liking the idea of the smaller reciever for that intro work

Anything to make a training process as easy to under stand for the dogs the better

But should be great collar for the real close dog work stuff in the field

I doubt I would use it for any real field work because of the small range it has. But great idea for the companion pet and yard work basics

scott_r

Post by scott_r » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:24 pm

http://www.tritronics.com/sportjrintro.asp

Here is the new Sport Jr., Looks like it would work for me :D

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:34 pm

Well good luck man, glad it worked for ya....

Chip

Adam Dahlstrom

Post by Adam Dahlstrom » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:25 pm

kninebirddog,

I personally see nothing wrong with just using your pro, but I do see your point of the smaller collar. Just to let you know if you didn't. You can buy the collar only and use it with your pro. TT says you can get a 1/2 mile range doing this.

Adam

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:58 pm

Yeah i talked to them,,,I am thinking on the smaller size and to test something with away I introduce dogs to the collars this smaller receiver might be the ticket for the idea for what I do

Adam Dahlstrom

Post by Adam Dahlstrom » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:50 am

No problem. just thought I would mention it. What is your idea if you don't mind sharing? I am always looking for ways to improve. I also have a young pup that will need intro not to long from now.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:52 am

i will pm you a link to give you a base of where I am working it..Actualy one of the Lady's at tri tronics was kind enough to help me editing it.

but basically since i do handle lots of dogs one of the things I have been working on is a foundation program and the basics of it yes the pro 100 has done me very well

but where i am liking this sport jr is more the receiver and also that the low levels are going to have less stimulation value then that of a fly landing on a dog much like the sport basic.....obviously I am working at a different level then the average hunting dog training..but I figure anything I can do to help a pup or young dog be better prepared for the rigors of trail training and getting the base foundation of understanding theoretically the easier the finishing training when they are ready for that should be easier