Introducing the pinch collar

Addict

Introducing the pinch collar

Post by Addict » Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:34 pm

I just recieved my CC and pinch collar today and had a few questions about them.

From watching one of the Bill West training seminar tapes I have some idea of how to proceed. Correct me if I'm wrong because I could use a refresher on this subject.

It looks like the biggest mistake when using the pinch collar is too much force. He was continually telling people to go lighter on the corrections. Is there an introduction to them or do you just throw it on? Also do you want the collar so the strap hangs off the top of the neck or the bottom?

Addict

Edited because I left our the pinch collar part
Last edited by Addict on Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:41 pm

I suggest snapping on the CC and doing your regular routine but dont use the cc just pretend it isnt there. Then once the dog is ised to it slow start introducing it. When I introduced mine I snapped it on and took her for a few runs before i actually started using it.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:48 pm

The part of the pinch that connects to the check cord comes over the top of the dog's neck.

I suggest not using the pinch at first. Just let your dog run free with a short, light, but stiff check cord to get used to it.

Best,

Addict

Post by Addict » Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:14 pm

My dogs are used to having a cc dragging around behind them. They just have not experienced the pinch collar. I should have been more clear in my original post.

Maurice

Post by Maurice » Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:52 pm

If your dogs are lead broke and use to dragging the checkcord then put the pinch collar on and start walking the dog... If you have the west/gibbons seminar dvd you will notice the light touch that is used with the pinch collar, just do as both Bill's talk about and show in the seminar dvd and you will be fine. You will develop a real feel for using the pinch collar in time, it is a good tool.

Mo

Addict

Post by Addict » Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:56 pm

Thanks,

I just wanted to be sure about everything before starting.

Mo,

I am getting my own copy of that dvd soon for reference. Thanks once again!

Britmandogs

Post by Britmandogs » Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:08 am

Addict, that DVD is by far the best investment you will make. You will come away with a clearer understanding of dogs and the method after watching it.

TAK

Post by TAK » Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:24 pm

My I High Jack here?
I will anyway! Got your e-mail today about him doing so well on the Hunt! Grats! I can't get anything to send from my e-mail??????
I had a Chukar hunt to Die for today! Clown did well... But the Pup "Speed" ROCKED!

Addict

Post by Addict » Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:25 am

Thanks Tak.

Thats awesome about your chuckar hunting and speed! I'm waiting for it to get colder around here. Saw too many snakes when I went fishing last week where I can go chase chuckar close to home. I loath snakes! :shock:

Addict