pointing labs

Grizz)--->

pointing labs

Post by Grizz)---> » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:36 pm

Hey everyone, curious as to any opinions about getting a lab out of the paper to do some upland hunting (mostly quail). Pointing labs are pretty spendy when you get them from the breeders, and rightly so you get exactly what you pay for. I was just curious if anyone on the forum has had any luck getting a lab that doesnt have a spectacular hunting lineage and molding a pointing dog out of it. I'm a pretty big advocate of you get out what you put in so I would assume that with a little work it can be done?... or maybe not?

oh yeah almost forgot, how much stock would you put in to the wing on a string thing with a littler of labs?

thanks!

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Re: pointing labs

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:19 pm

It's hard enough to find consistent pointing labs from reputable breeders. When you try to get one from non-pointing bloodlines, it's nearly impossible.

Wing on a string is about sight pointing and has nothing to do with pointing instinct.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

jt807

Post by jt807 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:50 am

If our looking for a dog for mostly quail, then why are you looknig for a lab?

I am new to this stuff, but if I was getting a dog for mostly or purely upland hunting, then I would get a pointing breed.

I don't know much about labs, are there other qualities that they have that you are looking for?

Grizz)--->

Post by Grizz)---> » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:20 pm

haha yeah, I have "my dog" a gsp but my girly wants to get a lab. So being the gentleman that I am we compromised on a pointing lab but I cant afford to drop a thou on a new pup that's out of pointing lines.

birdhunter2424

Post by birdhunter2424 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:32 pm

IMO if you cant spend on one dont get one. I also would not use the paper as your only source for nailing down a breeder. If you want the pup to hunt then you have to find a good breeder with solid history of producing hunting pups.

naperdog

Post by naperdog » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:35 pm

check the classifieds at www.americanpointinglab.com. They sometimes have some pups that are a little less money.

Benny

Post by Benny » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:10 pm

In the nicest way possible: you've made up your mind and so has your wallet. If your girlfriend/wife wants a dog, let her pick it out, and perhaps you can do some training and see what comes of it.
Consider also the fact that labs can be incredible flushers, and with a GSP in stock already, you have the means to create a pretty awesome duo in the field. If you introduce the lab to birds the right way, I think you'll at least get that out of it.
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

47sgs

Post by 47sgs » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:44 pm

Benny,

Even if you have to pay $1000 for a quality pointing lab puppy, at least you know what you're getting. Plus, to just get any decent lab out of the paper will be half that much. So the $500 difference spread over the dogs lifetime isn't very much at all, so get the one you really want. Besides, you'll enjoy doing the training.
You have some really top pointing lab breeders within easy driving distance of where you live.

Benny

Post by Benny » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:22 pm

47sgs wrote:Benny,

Even if you have to pay $1000 for a quality pointing lab puppy, at least you know what you're getting.
Thanks. I get it, I'm just not sure that's what is on the table. But maybe that's within the price range?
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

naperdog

Post by naperdog » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:15 am

most of the classifieds at the american pointing lab assoc are quality breeders. That is where i found the ad for my pup and he is great. He was less money than normal just because the breeder had alot of yellow males at that time and there wasn't alot demand for them. They normally sell their dogs for $850 to $1000, but i got mine for significantly less than that. He was 4 mons old at the time.