Tips for basics obediance

rowza

Tips for basics obediance

Post by rowza » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:01 am

Im training my pup (just over 13 weeks) the basics of obediance,can you tell me the easiest way to teach her them,heel,come,sit
Shes kind of got the heel part of it and im suprised at how fast she picks up on things

She is a greyhound x lurcher x bull x colly
Last edited by rowza on Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
uk hunting>? check my website

birdhunter2424

Re: Tips for basics obediance

Post by birdhunter2424 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:40 am

There are alot of differing methods for teaching these. The biggest key is consistency. It also helps to use hand signals. They learn the hand signals quicker then the words. Then you bring in the words after they are doing it with the hand signals. There are differing opions on whether to teach a bird dog to sit. You can search the forum for the opinions on sit. I would not teach heel to a pup that young. It usually takes a bit of pressure and they might to not handle it at that young of an age. I would recommend going to the library and getting a book on teaching obedience. I could tell you how I teach each command, but that would be a huge post. Good luck. If you are having problems with a particular command let me know how you are doing it and what the pups hang ups are and I can help you through it.

Mattt

rowza

Post by rowza » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:39 am

Ok, thanks im going to spend a good day tomorow getting it used to basics like comming to me,Is it not good praising it to much?Also its for chasing rabbits im not to sure about birds

Thanks

Benny

Post by Benny » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:58 am

Yes when they're this young praise is a good thing. You don't have to pick him up and cuddle him, but a small treat and a few good pats on the head with an encouraging voice is a surefire recipe for success. Conversely, if he's slow in learning any part of it, be patient and don't scold are get short of breath. Everyone will the shorter the sessions the better, and try to end on a success, even if its something simple, that way he'll not be discouraged in these training sessions.

I second birdhunter's comment, though. Come and sit are easy ones with young pups but heel can sometimes require a prong collar or slip lead. That might be too much at that age.
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

troutbum

Post by troutbum » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:45 pm

I am very new to training but I have found that it is important to start whistle training as early as possible, if you plan on using one. Once they understand the sit command and hand signal start using the whistle also...get a book ASAP

tmoneysju

Post by tmoneysju » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:02 pm

I would definitely look into some of the books available for training the type of dog you have (flusher, pointer, etc...). I know the I've mainly used this one:

The Training and Care of the Versatile Hunting Dog

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:42 pm

You do not mention what kind of dog you have. There are very different starting training for different breeds and field work. For flushers lots of obedience is better. Pointers I do not like teaching much but Come until they have started on birds. You want independence in hunting and pointing first. I would not start a pup that young in any breed on heeling. Let them grow up mentally and physically to 6-8 months.
brenda

rowza

Post by rowza » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:39 am

She is a greyhound x lurcher x bull x colly
N ok i will go look for a book tomroroww

Benny

Post by Benny » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:58 am

rowza wrote:She is a greyhound x lurcher x bull x colly
N ok i will go look for a book tomroroww
what the...could we get some pictures of this mini-beast? :D
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

rowza

Post by rowza » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:14 pm

Benny

Post by Benny » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:52 pm

Now that's a cute pup! Something tells me by the shape of that muzzle she's gonna be a big fan of the varmint holes.
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

rowza

Post by rowza » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:13 am

thanks,
shes quite a cleaver dog, shes really loving to you cant evan leave her by her self she starts crying my ownly worry that she may be to soft :/

Benny

Post by Benny » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:28 pm

Emma is like that. We're still working on it, but for the most part she has to be in her kennel if we leave her at home, or she'll scratch the door and tear stuff up. Hard to blame her, she probably won't grow out of that until she's 10 and too lazy to move anyhow.
It wouldn't hurt to work on some stuff to get her accustomed to being independent. Baby gating the downstairs or a portion of the living room while you guys watch a movie in the bedroom; kenneling downstairs while you take a shower and get ready for the morning; anything that could take an hour or so but keeps her from being at your ankles.
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:41 pm

A 3 month old puppy is like teaching a 1 yr old child tricks. They cannot retain alot at this age. If you worry about her being soft she may not be anywhere close to ready for a bunch of training. Let her grow up...
brenda

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:55 pm

snips wrote:A 3 month old puppy is like teaching a 1 yr old child tricks. They cannot retain alot at this age. If you worry about her being soft she may not be anywhere close to ready for a bunch of training. Let her grow up...

Right on!

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

rowza

Post by rowza » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:42 pm

Ok thanks for the tips, Morning walk for her in a hour 7:45am