pigeon coop placement?

LaReineBritt

pigeon coop placement?

Post by LaReineBritt » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:49 pm

Does a pigeon coop need to be placed in an open area? or can you place one between a building and a fence?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: pigeon coop placement?

Post by Sharon » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:06 pm

Depends on where you live. In my city there are strict bylaws on where the coop can be placed. Maybe you live in the country...........
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:41 pm

I always heard to place the coops facing the east, other than that I have no idea about placement. Thats a good question..

Chip

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:52 pm

Its best placed out in the open where the birds can see it when they return but most anyplace will work if they get used to it. I like it facing south but that is because of the prevailing winds and the birds normally are coming back from the south.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Rick Hall

Post by Rick Hall » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:00 am

LaReineBritt wrote:Does a pigeon coop need to be placed in an open area? or can you place one between a building and a fence?
I'm not sure what your concerns are, but if it's whether your birds will find their way back in, they'll probably be fine. My first loft was a closed-in stall of a livestock shed, and my birds had to go inside the shed to get to their loft's trap.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2009-2010 season log)

Sandy Meador

Post by Sandy Meador » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:30 am

My first coop was a refurbished chicken coop/pen that was 75 yards back in the woods. The birds had no problem flying through the woods to return home.

Nebraska

Post by Nebraska » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:57 am

Mine is facing South SE......

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:52 pm

Sandy Meador wrote:My first coop was a refurbished chicken coop/pen that was 75 yards back in the woods. The birds had no problem flying through the woods to return home.
Did you have homer, racers, or just trapped pigeons? This is how my coop will be located also, If I ever get it going again.