looking for a backing silohouette

co1651

looking for a backing silohouette

Post by co1651 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:04 pm

anyone near IL have a backing silhouette that they want to sell?

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Re: looking for a backing silohouette

Post by Ruffshooter » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:27 am

Nope, but remember when you were a kid and your 2nd grade teacher shown a light on you and some one traced it out so you could give it to your mom? Do it to your dog and paint it up (on Plywood). Put a stake on it, Set it up down over a hill around a corner, behind a bush etc. :) Maybe I could do a tutorial and make some money on this great Idea HUH?HUH? :wink:
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

BellaDad

Post by BellaDad » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:25 pm

How exactly do you get your dog to stand still long enough to trace them?

Grange

Post by Grange » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:00 pm

My father traced his dog's outline then attached the cut-out to two spring hinges (attached at the front and back feet of the cut-out). He then attached the spring hinges to a simple 2x4 "frame" and used a hook from the otherside of the frame to hold down the cut-out by an eyelet attached to by its head. The hook is attatched to a string so when he brings his dog into view either he or someone else will pull the string and the backing dog will pop up. This is a much more ecomonical way than the a $500 electronic backing dog though you do lose some convenience.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:00 pm

You don't to get your dog to stand still to get an outline. Just get a picture of your dog on point and then grid it.(Break up the photo into squares, 1/8 or 1/4 inch squares should do ) Then measure your dog in inches and compare it to the photo. If your dog measures 36 inches from front to rear and on the photo it takes up 6- 1/4 squares from front to back thenEach 1/4 square on the photo represents 6 inches in real life. So layout a six inch squares size grid on plywood and copy your dogs silloutte from the photo onto the plywood.

brittfans

Post by brittfans » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:21 pm

I had one of my dogs lay down on his side on a piece of plywood traced him and cut it with a gig saw .I have painted them to match differant breeds.some have long tails some have short.

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:34 pm

You could probably use an oblong piece of plywood & accomplish the same thing so the silouette don't have to look exactly like a dog.Just rough it. :lol: For those who are perfectionist you can go to the toy or art store & buy a projecter that you can put over top of a pic shine it on the wall at different distances to get the size you want & trace an exact silouette & even add the details if you like.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:02 pm

I'm not the least bit artistic and I used to just draw an outline on a 4x8 sheet of plywood then cut it out with a jigsaw. Doesnt take brains or talent, believe me! :lol:
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:02 am

I just had an epiphany!

Take a English Pointer, and a Brittany out hunting. Make sure the two are connected with a 6' ft lead or so. after a while, the pointer will run the Brittany to death, and you can trace it's outline. :lol: :lol:

If you really want to jazz up your silohouette, add some leg, and tail for effect. :mrgreen:

Just kidding, It's all in fun! :lol:
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"