Getting a dog over a fear of horses

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Getting a dog over a fear of horses

Post by phermes1 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:19 am

Hey all,

A friend of mine had an unfortunate accident with one of their dogs this weekend. They were in the middle of a brace and ahead of their bracemate, who was working a bird. Long story, short, the bracemate's horse got loose and started galloping full speed down the path back towards camp and ran right over my friend's dog. Luckily, the dog was not injured, but now she's pretty leery of horses. She'll go up and sniff one, but if they make a noise, she tucks her tail, and if one trots past her, it scares her even more.

Any suggestions on how to help this dog out?
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

snips
GDF Junkie

Re: Getting a dog over a fear of horses

Post by snips » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:35 am

My old NSTRA dog, Rip was kicked as hard as a dog could be kicked without crunching bones. He was terrified of them the rest of his life. BUT, so long as the horses kept their distance he went birdhunting. In NSTRA sometimes a judge will ride up and hold a backing dog if the handler is a long way away, I would just tell the judges not to hold him because he would leave his honor if they rode up too close. I think time and find stuff the dog likes and play with him closeby horses. He should gain some confidence back that not all horses are "crazy".
brenda

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:40 am

She may get over it since she will sniff one.I had one that got kicked, she never got over it. She would drop behind the horse and just walk .

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:42 am

OK, thanks. They're bringing her to the trial this weekend and hopefully she'll do better.

bobman

Post by bobman » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:00 am

Smart dog if you ask me I'm afraid of horses to, well really wary would be a better term. I've had horses almost all my life and seen them do some scary things.
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

lightonthebay

Post by lightonthebay » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:03 am

bobman wrote:Smart dog if you ask me I'm afraid of horses to, well really wary would be a better term. I've had horses almost all my life and seen them do some scary things.
I was thinking the same thing -- count your blessings because some dogs don't learn to be wary around furry T-rexes!

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:46 am

I would consider it a life lesson and let the dog get on with the business of getting it done in the field. Next time a 1500 pound animal comes running at it the dog will pay attention and get out of the way. Be glad it wasn't a car the dog didn't pay attention to. Do not let your or their reaction around the dog and horses allow it to learn that they are something to be feared. Just go about business as usual around the horses.

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:16 am

Well, thanks for the advice, but in all fairness, the dog didn't have much of a chance to get out of the way.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:01 pm

The message to the owners of the dog is to be calm around horses and not to have any negetive or nervous energy with the dog around horses. I am sure the dog will be much more aware of hosese but in time should work through this fear. Doesn't sound like it's a life time of trama.

jgf@gratiot

Post by jgf@gratiot » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:15 pm

In a Ferrel Miller tape with pups he takes a wing on a string and rides around with it getting the pups excited about it or you could use a pigeon in a harness on a pole and they don't mind the horse a bit also learn to go with the handler/horse. Not sure how this helps with an older dog, could be an idea though. I don't do the wing on a string but it seemed like a good idea to get the pups excited about being around the horse.

KY Grouse Hunter

Post by KY Grouse Hunter » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:02 am

I know that when it is time to get the dog out of its kennel or get it out to run, you can try riding your horse up to the kennel a few times until that dog wants out so bad that he doesn't care if your riding a dragon or a goose, he will want to get out and run.
Sally's Branch Duke
Sally's Branch Copper

Benny

Post by Benny » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:59 am

phermes1 wrote: Any suggestions on how to help this dog out?
Well I've thought on this a few days and finally came up with a sure fire plan. Go to the nearest butcher and get a good 7 foot string of sausage links, pig'n'string them to the back of the saddle or the horn, and let the horse drag it around for a few minutes with the dog. Wallah! Problem solved. No thanks required :mrgreen:
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

KY Grouse Hunter

Post by KY Grouse Hunter » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:26 pm

sounds like a winner. :lol:
Sally's Branch Duke
Sally's Branch Copper

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:26 pm

Benny wrote:Well I've thought on this a few days and finally came up with a sure fire plan. Go to the nearest butcher and get a good 7 foot string of sausage links, pig'n'string them to the back of the saddle or the horn, and let the horse drag it around for a few minutes with the dog. Wallah! Problem solved. No thanks required :mrgreen:
The best one yet!!!! :D :D

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:03 pm

The dog not being afraid of horses is one thing, but you are going to have the dog hunting them down and climbing their tails.

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:05 pm

Update: Much ado about nothing. The dog was terrified last weekend, didn't really give much of a darn this weekend. She showed SOME hesitation a time or two when a horse got close, but otherwise, she ran pretty well and was overall not terribly concerned about the horses at all. Based on what I saw, I don't think her owners have too much to worry about.
Thanks for all the advice!!!

WildRose

Post by WildRose » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:59 am

phermes1 wrote:Hey all,

A friend of mine had an unfortunate accident with one of their dogs this weekend. They were in the middle of a brace and ahead of their bracemate, who was working a bird. Long story, short, the bracemate's horse got loose and started galloping full speed down the path back towards camp and ran right over my friend's dog. Luckily, the dog was not injured, but now she's pretty leery of horses. She'll go up and sniff one, but if they make a noise, she tucks her tail, and if one trots past her, it scares her even more.

Any suggestions on how to help this dog out?
I've been working one through similar issues myself lately. Here's how we are resolving it. I've taken the dog for several rides ON the horse plus sitting down with a horse that's laying down and having the dog sit/lay next to us getting petted for a half hour or so. When she got to where this was no longer a big issue I started feeding the two with their bowls right next to one another.

Of course it really takes a very special horse to put up with all of this. Here's a slide show that includes some of that.

http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/jj16 ... 0fb698.pbw

Hope it helps. CR
There's a reason I like dogs better'n people