Right/ Wrong ways to use an E collar?

subatomicstang

Right/ Wrong ways to use an E collar?

Post by subatomicstang » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:56 am

I was wanting to get everyones input on this. We have been watching the perfect start/ finish set, and we got our first look into e collars. So far he uses the constant stimulation at the same time as the command and stops the stimulation as soon as the dog starts obeying. If thats all you do to reinforce a command whats the use of the pulsing stimulation and other controls? I am probably going to purchase the TT field 90 exp.

So if you guys have any feedback on your thoughts/ examples of right or wrong use im all ears! Thanks
Randy B

snips
GDF Junkie

Re: Right/ Wrong ways to use an E collar?

Post by snips » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:03 am

I do not like "teaching" with the Ecollar, I like teaching a behavior then using the collar to reinforce. I do not like using the Collar for basic obedience commands like Sit, Heel, ect. This is just my opinion, I like a very confident happy dog and I feel this causes alot of stress....
brenda

BellaDad

Post by BellaDad » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:21 am

He teaches them "here" for example with just the check cord and over a period of a few days. In my case I used a few weeks to make sure I had it down right. Do it in the house, in the yard, etc. The e-collar is an extended check cord, when you would tug on the check cord use the e-collar. I only use nick and continuous for what I do.

subatomicstang

Post by subatomicstang » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:50 am

Right now i would like to use it with come, and whoa. I really cant think of any reason i would use it other than to reel them in if they are under chase and wont come back or whoaing in case of danger? I just think there are alot of features that may not be used. How ilaberate does the collar training become? I mean what else would i use it for in the future?
Randy B

Benny

Post by Benny » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:55 am

subatomicstang wrote:So far he uses the constant stimulation at the same time as the command and stops the stimulation as soon as the dog starts obeying.
He teaches the command verbally with food or a check cord, right?
If not, that seems really odd to me; especially with the gaining popularity of this DVD set.
The best way to teach your dog "here," or "come" is with pieces of milk bone, or some snack. Every time you show the dog what you got, say "come." He'll go running. Then put him on the cord outside with a treat in your pocket, show it and say "come." If he doesn't, reel him in a few times until he gets the idea. Shouldn't need to shock him at all.
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

subatomicstang

Post by subatomicstang » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:17 am

Benny wrote:
subatomicstang wrote:So far he uses the constant stimulation at the same time as the command and stops the stimulation as soon as the dog starts obeying.
He teaches the command verbally with food or a check cord, right?
If not, that seems really odd to me; especially with the gaining popularity of this DVD set.
The best way to teach your dog "here," or "come" is with pieces of milk bone, or some snack. Every time you show the dog what you got, say "come." He'll go running. Then put him on the cord outside with a treat in your pocket, show it and say "come." If he doesn't, reel him in a few times until he gets the idea. Shouldn't need to shock him at all.

Im sorry. Yes the dog fully understands the commands already i was just talking about when they start adding the collar into the mix and getting away from the check cord. Im already past that i just would like to start adding the collar into the mix. My pup will whoa no problem in place but when he isnt on a leash he wont do it all the time so i would like to go back through the whoa training like the video and add the collar to give me control when he is away from me .
Randy B

BellaDad

Post by BellaDad » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:40 am

All I can say is follow the video - I followed it step by step and it worked like a dream. I tend to do everything about double the time that they do but that is because my pup is young and has plenty of time to get ready for next season.

Overlay the e-collar with the check cord, then loose check cord, drop the check cord, no check cord....you get the point.

subatomicstang

Post by subatomicstang » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:43 am

BellaDad wrote:All I can say is follow the video - I followed it step by step and it worked like a dream. I tend to do everything about double the time that they do but that is because my pup is young and has plenty of time to get ready for next season.

Overlay the e-collar with the check cord, then loose check cord, drop the check cord, no check cord....you get the point.

YEah right on! Do you guys find that the momentary stimulation is needed for anything? I can get a tt 70 exp for a little cheaper im just trying to figure out if i will need the momentary at some point?
Randy B

LoveMyGSPs

Post by LoveMyGSPs » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:48 am

I think the better question would have been:

What do *you* personally use the momentary correction for on your e-collar?

What do *you* personally believe the benefit is to having a unit that has the momentary option?

It is not really about getting training advise as we already have the Perfect DVD set and will follow that to a T, however, all that is mentioned is to have an e collar that has a continuous correction option. Thanks! --Subatomicstang's wife
*!~Shantel~!*

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:09 pm

If you need momentary depress the button as needed if you need continuous hold button down as needed

I have the pro 100 I do not need a toggle that the 500 offers for more or change finger position to go from momentary to continuous as I control that with my finger so I have 18 levels of what ever I need at the time i need it

I only use the e collar to extend the range of what has been taught

I can help a dog go with me in the field come to me in the field and even stand still in the field once we have been through the basics in the yard

I like my dogs to understand cues from the e collar not just react
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

cocdawg

Post by cocdawg » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:33 pm

snips wrote:I do not like using the Collar for basic obedience commands like Sit, Heel, ect.
Brenda,
This may be a dumb question on my part but what type commands do you use the collar for? Also, I believe my pup has become "cc wise" and I personally don't think I could ever get him to "come/here" 100% of the time w/out the use of an e collar some time in the future. Then again, I guess that's why you are a professional gun dog trainer and I'm just a gun dog owner :lol: !

ScottG

Post by ScottG » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:54 pm

While on this subject, I also have a couple of questions. There seem to be two methods, a nick to get the dog to respond and a continuous shock until the dog responds. On my e-collar I bought (but have not used yet), the booklet outlined one way and the video another. Which is preferable?

Also, the norm for trash breaking seems to be to hit the dog on high continuous until he stops chasing. You're not supposed to say anything so that the dog thinks the shock is coming from the rabbit/deer/etc. If the dog is collar broke, so to speak, why not command no or come and then use the collar to re-enforce a broken command if he does not comply?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:23 pm

ScottG wrote:While on this subject, I also have a couple of questions. There seem to be two methods, a nick to get the dog to respond and a continuous shock until the dog responds. On my e-collar I bought (but have not used yet), the booklet outlined one way and the video another. Which is preferable?

Also, the norm for trash breaking seems to be to hit the dog on high continuous until he stops chasing. You're not supposed to say anything so that the dog thinks the shock is coming from the rabbit/deer/etc. If the dog is collar broke, so to speak, why not command no or come and then use the collar to re-enforce a broken command if he does not comply?

the method that makes sense to you and is the easiest for you to understand and be the most consistent with is the best program

as for why not to say anything when you are trash breaking..most time the dog will come around to you cause that thing just hurt them...the reason you pretend like nothing happened is you do not want the dog associating you or thinking that it is a cue for them to come back to you with what happened..no reward of any kind or negative the whole experience needs to be related to the deer or rabbit

if the dog tries and shuts down over it anything you cue touch or say can become part of what happened thus why you pretend like nothing happened you just walk on and let the dog free up on it's own
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Dennmor

Post by Dennmor » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:21 pm

I started using an e-collar with my then 10mo dog a month ago. He was good at commands and I felt I needed the collar to mostly reel him in.
After introducing him to the system of voice, then audio, then shock, he got the picture right away.
Now he's quicker to respond to voice commands in the field. And if he lags on that, he's very quick to repsond to the audio. He's also very sensitive to the shock level. I usually use it at 2.
I've found that the nick button is pretty much useless at that level but a short burst from the continuous button works fine.
I tried the "continuous shock until the dog responds" method. Moses gave me his opinion by promptly peeing on the floor! :? And that was at a level one.
I really like the collar, Moses seems more focused when he has it on. He loves to have it put on cuz he knows we're going to have some fun. 8)

dennmor
Rather hunt without a gun than without a dog!

Image Image Image

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:00 pm

If you're going to have a real "collar" dog, the dog works to every command it knows, not just here or whoa. My dogs have sit, here, down, whoa, fetch, hold, drop, heel, back, left, and right all reinforced by collar. Then you can correct them for any problem with no repurcussions.
When I start collar breaking, they are all started with continuous then immediately swithced to momentary at a higher level.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

subatomicstang

Post by subatomicstang » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:34 am

http://www.gundogforum.com/forum/viewto ... 0&start=45

Thought this pertains to this thread too.

-Randy B
Randy B