Looking for a training spot in Southern Ohio or Northern KY

midwestfisherman

Looking for a training spot in Southern Ohio or Northern KY

Post by midwestfisherman » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:31 pm

I'm looking for a spot to go to for a long weekend and run my dogs and do some training. The snow here is too deep and too crusty to get any real work done with out dogs cutting their feet up. So any ideas would be great as I don't know much about what is available in southern OH and only know of one spot in northern KY. Thanks in advance.
Image * Image

"Your best conservation tool is a well trained hunting dog"

ckfowler

Re: Looking for a training spot in Southern Ohio or Northern KY

Post by ckfowler » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:00 am

Shawnee State Forest is about as far S as you can get w/o leaving the state and holds grouse. 3 day license is $40. Planning on heading that way in Feb sometime. Running dogs to train, not hunt, Ohio requires that your state allow us to do the same. Just to romp, Ceasars Creek is closer to I-75 and easy lodging just SE of Dayton. State releases pheasants there but that season is over outside preserves. Gamebirdhunts site lists most of the preserves and shows about where they are by the contact info. Wide range of preserve costs, the cheapest I know of is right down the road from me but we are mid state and have some snow, expecting more tonight though Dayton is expecting more for a change. Fairchild's is small (about 50 acres of good cover) but does pheasants for $12-14 last I checked (937) 465-5305. Stull Preserve in New Carlisle just off I-70/75, also small but nice cover (937) 845-8932.

Could always look into a NSTRA trial down this way and get birds and the place to run for the entry fee. Looks like there is one by Dayton Feb 7/8. http://ohioregion.tripod.com/id2.html

Let me know if you end up in my area, would love to meet and see the dogs run.

Added;
Dog Training
The Division of Wildlife has established designated dog training areas on some of its wildlife areas. Dogs may not be trained or exercised on state public hunting areas from May 1 through August 31, except on these designated dog training areas. A nonresident may not train, work, or exercise a dog in Ohio at any time Ohio residents are not permitted to train, work, or exercise dogs in the nonresident’s state. Training dogs while pursing furbearing animals is permitted only from 6:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m.
Firearms may not be carried by persons training or working dogs during the closed season for furbearing animals. See information on Concealed Carry licenses.
Designated dog training areas are located on portions of the Auburn Marsh, Berlin, Caesar Creek, Delaware, Fallsville, Grand River, Highlandtown, Indian Creek, Killdeer Plains, Lake La Su An, Maumee State Forest, Oxbow, Resthaven, Rush Run, Spencer, and Woodbury wildlife areas.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Home/wild_re ... fault.aspx
Colin

KY Grouse Hunter

Re: Looking for a training spot in Southern Ohio or Northern KY

Post by KY Grouse Hunter » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:12 am

PM me if your interested in a spot in Central KY.
Sally's Branch Duke
Sally's Branch Copper