Bird launchers

Two Bears

Bird launchers

Post by Two Bears » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:29 pm

I was at a Gander Mountain today and happened to take a look at the bird launcher that they have, not sure of the name but they had a few out of the boxes so I had to have a closer look.....

Just looking at it they were very well built. And very reasonable @ $49.00 (manual) so I decided to "set one" to see just how it worked.....

Well I can say that the springs are good and stout, BUT when I tripped the trap I discovered that they are VERY LOUD ! ( I think that the guy down the isle from me chit his pants ). So I am thinking that holly crap that was loud, so I set it again to hear it again (while getting a cross look from the dude down the isle, I swear he chit him self) and I tripped it again, YEP that was very loud.
I truely think that this launcher would have no problem launching a bird to the 30 yard mark pretty easily !

Wouldn't this scare the crap out of a pup ? ( I am thinking gun shy issues here)

Are all or most of them this loud?

Is there a brand that one should stay away from?

I might get one of these depending on what the responses are, Like I stated it seemed very well built and for 49 bucks it just might be a good starter bird launcher.
HAVING A LIBERAL ALONG IS LIKE LOSING TWO GOOD MEN

BDBUzi

Re: Bird launchers

Post by BDBUzi » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:19 am

I bought a manual one for about the same price at Cabela's. And I noticed that it was much louder when there wasn't anything in it. They are still pretty loud but I didn't have any problems with my pup. Just make sure you launch when he's far enough away from it so that you don't scare him or pop the bird up in his face. Set it and bring him in cross wind, as soon as he turns into the wind and starts to move in pop the bird.

mudhunter

Post by mudhunter » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:21 pm

You have to be real careful when using a launcher around a young pup. You don't want the noise to scare is or the pup to decide to dive in on the bird and get hit by the launcher. I pop the launcher without a bird when the pup is playing from a little ways back and get closer slowly as the pup is playing to see how the dog reacts to the sound. hopefully the dog ignores the sounds and isn't scared, but if the pup is scared at least it wouldn't connect the sound to birds (hence why I test it with the dog doing other things without a bird in the launcher).

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:12 pm

Not all launchers ar created equal. Some are quite loud, some are not quite so loud.

I think that folks should condition their young pups to launchers in very much the same ways as pups are conditioned to gunfire.

One of the absolute loudest launchers was the old Tritronics wooden launcher. It had an automatic door closer for a spring and the doors of the unti were constructed of plywood, 1/2" I think. That sucker could break your hand. Talk about a slam bang! It would toss a pigeon about six feet into the air in the blink of an eye!!

If the unit is too loud and has too powerful a launching action, you can weaken the springs by heating them with a torch, you can replace them with weaker or longer springs or you can move one of the hooks so that the spring does not stretch so much.

The Dogtras I have are equipped with a stud screw and elastic stopnut that serves as the adjustable anchor for one end of the springs. You can adjust the strength of the launching action down to point where the unit barely opens up , making only a very slight amount of noise.

RayG

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:47 pm

They do make noise but like stated above when they are loaded & on the ground instead of a hard surface they are much more quite.They can also be adjusted to some extent like Ray said.All this is a good reason to launch the bird before pup gets to close besides teaching him not to crowd his birds.

Higgins

Post by Higgins » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:31 pm

This is a short video of a Releaser that we use. Makes no noise.

http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j316/ ... equail.flv

Brad Higgins
Higgins Gundogs
http://www.HigginsGundogs.com

Benny

Post by Benny » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:44 pm

oooh, very nice launcher!
thanks for the video Mr. Higgins
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:07 am

What does a pigeon do? What if they don't hop out?
brenda

Maurice

Post by Maurice » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:16 am

snips wrote:What does a pigeon do? What if they don't hop out?
Brenda I use 4 of the Higgins releasers.. Pigeons work great in the releasers.

Mo

Keny Glasscock

Post by Keny Glasscock » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:28 am

A question for Mr Higgins and Maurice. How do you guys feel when it comes to younger dogs and the releasers? There are times when you want to get the bird out of there quickly. A young dog that breaks for example. I've used the releaser, I actually own one, but there are times and dogs that I don't use it because I don't want the potential for a pup catching a bird which is milling around. I'm not trying to be inflammatory, I think you have a good product, but I'm wondering if there are scenarios when you wouldn't use the releaser and opt for a launcher?

Maurice

Post by Maurice » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:46 am

Keny Glasscock wrote:A question for Mr Higgins and Maurice. How do you guys feel when it comes to younger dogs and the releasers? There are times when you want to get the bird out of there quickly. A young dog that breaks for example. I've used the releaser, I actually own one, but there are times and dogs that I don't use it because I don't want the potential for a pup catching a bird which is milling around. I'm not trying to be inflammatory, I think you have a good product, but I'm wondering if there are scenarios when you wouldn't use the releaser and opt for a launcher?
Keny I will try and answer.. Using the releasers I had to change my timing when I free run young yet to be trained dogs, you have to open the releaser when the dog gets in the area. When I start breaking the dogs they are on a checkcord. I never stop them to make them point, I only stop the chase after the bird has flown. I normally use pigeons in the releaser at that point in training. Then I switch to good flying quail in the releaser, sometimes loading as many as 4 quail in 1 releaser. When using quail I will open the releaser sooner, sometimes the quail will hop out of the releaser but remain in the area. This works extremely well and gets the dogs use to working loose birds. Hope this helps.

Mo

Keny Glasscock

Post by Keny Glasscock » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:27 pm

It does, thanks Mo.

rich

Post by rich » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:48 am

YES IT WILL SCARE THE CRAP OUT OF A PUP.

YOU DONT NEED A LAUNCHER TO START A PUP. iF YOU CAN GET A COPY OF "PERFECT START" VIDEO IT WILL SHOW YOU HOW TO WORK YOUR YOUG DOG ON BIRDS

BDBUzi

Post by BDBUzi » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:15 am

rich wrote:YES IT WILL SCARE THE CRAP OUT OF A PUP.

YOU DONT NEED A LAUNCHER TO START A PUP. iF YOU CAN GET A COPY OF "PERFECT START" VIDEO IT WILL SHOW YOU HOW TO WORK YOUR YOUG DOG ON BIRDS
If you're letting the pup get close enough to the launcher that it startles him, you're probably creating a larger problem as it is.
I agree that the Perfect Start has some good tips, but I also used launchers. Just bring the pup in cross wind far enough away that it won't scare the pup when he makes game and turns towards the launcher. If you can't afford an automatic launcher, you may have to extend the cord on the manual launcher to stay a safe distance away.

M1Tanker

Post by M1Tanker » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:00 pm

By a DT manual or automatic...easy to load and quiet.

Two Bears

Post by Two Bears » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:38 pm

Thanks for all the information guys ! I will have to pick one up soon.

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:30 am

Thanks for all the information guys ! I will have to pick one up soon.
Get two....

Prairie dog

Post by Prairie dog » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:48 am

Why buy any at all..
You will need a helper to either steady the dog or luanch the bird with a manual launcher for any serious dog work........IMO.

Two Bears

Post by Two Bears » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:33 am

Whats wrong with a helper?

I will be training this pup from the start in "tandem" which means with my son. I will be teaching him how to train a pup as well as just training a pup.

Prairie dog

Post by Prairie dog » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:13 am

Nothing wrong with a helper. In fact that's the best way to go.
My point was , a none remote launcher to a trainer is worth next to nothing unless the trainer employs a helper. So why spend the money...

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:57 pm

My point was , a none remote launcher to a trainer is worth next to nothing unless the trainer employs a helper.
Shhhhhhhh, don't tell that to the dogs that I train with launchers by myself. :lol:

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:57 pm

If you decide to get an electronic one, makes sure it has a locator button on it. Don't ask me why. :roll:
Last edited by Sharon on Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Prairie dog

Post by Prairie dog » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:14 pm

Yawallac wrote:
My point was , a none remote launcher to a trainer is worth next to nothing unless the trainer employs a helper.
Shhhhhhhh, don't tell that to the dogs that I train with launchers by myself. :lol:
I'd be most interested to know how you go a bout it..
Last edited by Prairie dog on Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prairie dog

Post by Prairie dog » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:16 pm

Sharon wrote:Makes sure it has a locator button on it. Don't ask me why. :roll:

Locator button on a manual launcher? Don't think I have ever seen one.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:37 pm

Forgot it was manual. Excuse me.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:07 am

a none remote launcher to a trainer is worth next to nothing unless the trainer employs a helper.
Oh, you meant a "non" remote launcher to a trainer is worth next to nothing unless the trainer employs a helper. Gotcha. I misunderstood your point and I agree. Remote launcher or don't waste your money ....and get two!! :wink:

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:05 am

If you have a problem with the launcher scaring the pup, the pup isn't ready in the first place.

I've had two set's, the Wag Ag and my present set, R&R Farms. Both were/are noisy. I think the majority of the noise comes from the pad that holds the bird. It snaps when the thing opens. I'd guess that weaker springs would make the noise less but it will also not launch the bird as well.

I have one manual lancher, found it in a field years ago. Have never used it the first time. Often with my remotes, I trigger them with my toe rather than the remote. Moves a dog along a bit better it seem's to me.
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:40 am

Just to surround some of what has been said. Get two. Remeber that the whole point of a launcher is to teach the dog how to handle birds, i.e. teaching the dog it can not crowd the birds. I had a couple of the manual launchers. It was okay for the first couple of times then was useless because to have a string long enough to have the dog not identify the helper with a bird was not feasable. Helper=Bird=run to handler=not hunting. I soon went out and bought two remotes now no helper and timing is much better. I now own 6. I Conditioned my dog to the sound. Just by quail in it letting dog smell it. take quail out flick it a couple times etc. nothing fancy not often and not every dog. When you lauch a bird it should be at a distance that you believe a bird would leave under pressure so your dog does not learn to crowd the bird. If you buy the manuals you can set a piece of ribbon or a stake where you place the launcher. Also when you place a launcher just like planting birds do not take a direct route to the planting area. Take a long way around not stinkin up the field so your dog can run your track to the launcher or bird. You can not keep up with your dog and they will get to the launcher first and either do good and point from a distance or close or jump the launcher and get whacked in the face with a launcher or bird.

Have fun.
Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:43 am

Forgot the check cord the dog in the first few times, eventually free running with a check cord attached.. :oops:
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick