How to teach heel?

nowicki2005

How to teach heel?

Post by nowicki2005 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:09 pm

I've kind of neglected this command. My pup is almost 5 and 1/2 months old. I pretty much just worked on here and a version of the whoa command. How do I go about teaching heel? He picks up things very quickly.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: How to teach heel?

Post by Sharon » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:46 pm

I can only tell you what I do.

I use Huntsmith's command lead - a stiff piece of rope?

You walk the dog and everytime he moves ahead you change direction quickly giving a sharp flick on the lead.

After a hundred of these :wink: the dog will start to watch you closely which requires him to stay beside you.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:23 pm

You'll find that teaching the "heel" command is made far easier by the use of a heeling stick. Virtually every retriever trainer uses one, but pointing dog folks are slower to adapt to it's use. The advantage of a heeling stick is that it gives the dog both a visual barrier and a physical barrier.

Start with you dog on a leash or choke collar or a lead such as Sharon recommended. The heeling stick is carried in your right hand and angles down and across your legs to block the dogs forward movement. When the dog forges ahead, jerk back sharply on the lead and tap the pup across the chest. Tap, don't hit. If he lags behind, give tugs on the lead and command heel. If he flares to the side, give sharp tugs and pat your leg, commanding heel. You can also tap the dog on the outside flank with the heeling stick.

That's about it. You will find that the heeling stick is a good precursor to the electric collar because you are making the same type of small taps with collar and stick that the ecollar makes.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

stonegripper

Post by stonegripper » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:33 pm

There is a book by Jim Marti called "The Burnt Creek Method of Dog Training". In that book, chapter III teaches "heel" in two parts; 1: "Attention" and 2: "Walk at Side". It is the best/easiest method I've seen and have used it on many dogs. You can do a "google" search and come up with how to order the book. If you run into problems, let me know, and I will scan/email to you. Your pup will be "heeling" in no time.