dog jumps up on everything!

nowicki2005

dog jumps up on everything!

Post by nowicki2005 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:24 pm

my 4.5 month old britt jumps up on every thing, the table, kitchen counters etc... He does so and looks to see whats up there and if anything is near the edge he will take it. How do I break him of this? I tell him no and push him down but he does not listen he will go right back up etc.... He is really starting to piss off everyone in the house because he is actually just becoming a nuisance more than anything else. He does not listen, he does what he wants....I will watch him go into the small trash can in my room and take out papers I get it out of his mouth and tell him no. I will be yelling at him no as I watch him go right back, its getting old...

jstead

Re: dog jumps up on everything!

Post by jstead » Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:35 pm

"He is really starting to piss off everyone in the house because he is actually just becoming a nuisance more than anything else. He does not listen, he does what he wants....I will watch him go into the small trash can in my room and take out papers I get it out of his mouth and tell him no. I will be yelling at him no as I watch him go right back, its getting old..."

Make sure that he's getting enough outside supervised exercise -- he could probably use at least 20 minutes 3-5 times a day, maybe more.
Keep a leash on him in the house so you can yank him away from trash cans and counters. Sounds like a great pup to me!

brittfans

Post by brittfans » Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:19 pm

welcome to brittany pup. You have to get the pup exercise .It is the only way I wave found that you can maintain control of them is if they are tired.My 6 month old just ate two tomatoes and just slid across the kitchen floor time for a run. bye.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:49 pm

All pups want to counter surf and older dogs too.
It's simply not allowed.

When the correction you are using isn't have any impact , you need to up the ante.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:28 pm

Sounds like you have a nice normal puppy. There are several ways to make them stop unwanted behavior. Number one thing is outsmart them. You might put the waste baskets op for a few days or slap the pup when you can catch him in the act. For the counter thing step on his toes when you are there or put mouse traps on the edge of the counter with cheese in them so he will either get his foot on one or stick his nose in it. He will get the message pretty quickly.

And in the mean time remember what you went through with your kids if you have any. It took three years to teach them to stay down when they were told so puppies are a lot like that just smarter. :roll:
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

nowicki2005

Post by nowicki2005 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:33 pm

ezzy333 wrote:And in the mean time remember what you went through with your kids if you have any. It took three years to teach them to stay down when they were told so puppies are a lot like that just smarter. :roll:
I'm 21, thank God i dont have any kids lol

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:39 pm

Your time is coming!

If that pup becomes to much of a nusance i could take her off of your hands.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:49 pm

Piece-o-cake. Mouse traps! Tape a few to the edge of anything you don't want him jumping on, set of course, and go away. He'll get the point real quick!
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

briarpatch

Post by briarpatch » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:02 am

And in the mean time remember what you went through with your kids if you have any. It took three years to teach them to stay down when they were told so puppies are a lot like that just smarter.

Thats funny right thaar, I don't care who you are :lol:

jbr03

Post by jbr03 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:31 pm

i have seen these things called "scat mats." its a thin, plastic looking mat that gives the dog a little static pulse when contact is made. they make them big enough for doorways or in your case, small enough for counter tops. I see all the other guys that have left the comments about placing mousetraps on the counter, but wouldnt that hurt? i would think its possible to break a toe or something. dont get me wrong, i know they probably have more dog experience than ive been alive, so im not saying you couldnt or shouldnt do the traps. thing is with the scat mat you dont have to reset it everytime the dog jumps up like you would with the traps. i can see you not being around and the dog jumps up, trips a trap, and then would be deterrent free if it wanted to jump back up. check it out, here is the link.

http://www.contech-inc.com/products/scatmat/
Brian

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:16 pm

Knee to the chest hard when he jumps on people, mousetraps on counter tops and furniture. Teach the word NO.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:01 pm

All good advice...................and avoid setting him up for failure. If he likes to counter surf or table surf, and he's already reaped rewards from this behavior, try to keep tempting goodies off of those areas. If you're not actively playing with him or near enough to head him off at the pass (or at least immediately correct him)--put him in his crate, kennel, yard. I just about never give people food to my dogs either. When I have meat scraps, they go directly to the dog dishes for feeding. I do not want my dogs to associate good tasting people food with the countertop or dining room table.

If he's totally ignoring you when you say "no", you probably haven't consistently backed it up with a correction so that it means something to him. I think he's probably just like every other puppy out there, and just waiting for your guidance. Denise

nowicki2005

Post by nowicki2005 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:49 pm

i like the idea of the mousetraps as i think that would correct it very fast but will any injury occur? im assuming it wouldnt because you all suggested it but if it can kill a rat might it cut his nose or something? I'll admit, i'm too afraid to stick my finger in one lol

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:28 am

nowicki2005 wrote:i like the idea of the mousetraps as i think that would correct it very fast but will any injury occur? im assuming it wouldnt because you all suggested it but if it can kill a rat might it cut his nose or something? I'll admit, i'm too afraid to stick my finger in one lol
Victor mouse traps, NOT RAT TRAPS!!!
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

GSPVIZ

Post by GSPVIZ » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:19 am

My 2 year old Viz still puts her paws up on the counters and table after I have continually slapped her nose and said "OFF". She really never gets any goodies so not sure why she is doing it. Maybe I will try the mouse traps.

Also with the knee to chest thing, didn't work for my viz. I nailed her a couple of times really good and it didn't phase her.

I thought they said Vizsla's needed soft training?! :roll:

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:01 am

I know most people do not like to start ecollars that early, but I have seen some, and worked with some puppies that just get full of themselves and unafraid of any punishment you give. They feel certain they could outtun a quick smack and they are enjoying testing you and slowly trying to turn the status around for themselves. I am not personally a fan of the mouse trap idea unless the dog is 40-50 lb just because, it could break a toe. Their are little plastic ones that are not as bad, but also mey miss and just make snap sound. And again their is the sharp snap sound associated with the pain....

Anyway if you can borrow or invest in a small dog e-collar or one this it very lightweight I would just accustom the puppy (who is almost 5 months old right?) to wearing it. Then pick one thing at a a time and work consistently one it. Keep you mouth shut and bump the lower setting when his paws hit the counter. Again Again. Won't take long for him to realize the counter hurts. He'll pout. Then the trash. Personally the trash is an issue I do not fight with my dogs. I just get all trash cans with secure lids and put them inside the cabinets or behind closed doors. I even had to baby lock the cabinets for one dog, but that worked well, and the cabinet was already babyproofed when our first baby started crawling around. I did have one adult that got bad about sneaking into the garage to knock a closed trash cab over and I did "break" her of it, but that was an unusuall obsession and a very large trash can :?

I like the e-collar because it is not actually you yelling. It is the counter that hurts when he/she touches it. Do be cautious to avoid letting him/her realize that the e-collar must be on. Readjust it and take it off when you are outside playing and on leash, but other wise keep it on as much as possible until the habit is broken.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:58 am

Has anyone ever heard of a dog having a toe broke by a mouse trap? That seems way over the top to me. I have them sitting around in the sheds and the pups get in them every so often but they seem to learn to leave them alone pretty quickly.

Ezzy

High Voltage

Post by High Voltage » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:49 pm

I have used mouse traps for years on several types of dogs and never had one get anything caught in the trap. The only problem I have had is the dogs seem to know when the traps are no longer there. Even my dobie who chewed the window sill knew when I took the trap off and started chewing again. The good thing is we don't have the "set" the traps anymore just put them on the counter that we have food on :) .

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:51 pm

Have seen it come in the clinic and knew a friend whose little brother had his finger fractured from the little mouse traps. But you know do what works for you.