A nother "pointed" question....

WiskeyJaR

A nother "pointed" question....

Post by WiskeyJaR » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:27 pm

Dutchess will hit point for just a couple seconds, then turn and look at me, then moves off as if never "pointed". This isnt everytime, but more so then holding point till I flush. If there was nothing there to begin with, would she just be "pointing" old scent maybe? Is this a common thing with other dogs? or should I maybe be 'correcting' her in some way?

These points look just like her "good" points, head still, tail straight <for her at least>, paw up, etc...

Thanks for any advice,
WiskeyJaR

bobman

Re: A nother "pointed" question....

Post by bobman » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:36 pm

Is she pointing birds then walking off or flash pointing then walking off and there is no bird, theres a big difference.

The latter is common dont worry about it, the former is blinking and a sign of training pressure.
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

WiskeyJaR

Post by WiskeyJaR » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:01 pm

no game, I always check the spot.

So not something I need be concerned with in training?...cool one less thing to worry about :wink:

Thanks,
WiskeyJaR

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:16 pm

Yep, don't worry about it. she should grow out of that with bird encounters. Hope your finding more birds over there than I'm finding over here. wish I could shoot in town, thats where all the birds are!
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

WiskeyJaR

Post by WiskeyJaR » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:52 pm

Hope your finding more birds over there than I'm finding over here.
been finding lots...well lots to me at least...pushing about 5-10 mountain quail a day. Between my poor shooting, yes i know, "let the wife do the shooting"...and Dutchess's impatience on holding point, havnt actually shoot any wild birds over her yet. Pigeons sure, just no wild birds yet.

Dennmor

Post by Dennmor » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:47 pm

WJ,
This past weekend, took Moses out to a farm in Eastern Colorado.
He staunchly pointed the first bird, I flushed it, shot it, and he made a sweet retrieve!
As the day wore on he seemed to point and then not be sure a lot. I would go in and kick the bushes anyway and there was never a bird. I figure he's just trying hard to find birds and being young , it will take some time and experience for him to figure it all out.

For Moses and Dutchess this is all brand new. They will learn but they will make alot of mistakes in the process.

Advise that I have given others as well as myself:
It always seems like it takes forever or them to "get it". But once they do, you tend to look back and remark at how fast they learn! :lol:

I try to live by this motto with Moses:
Be as patient as you are demanding.

I'm guessing, that'll work. :D

dennmor
Rather hunt without a gun than without a dog!

Image Image Image