ecollar contact length on setter

eastwash

ecollar contact length on setter

Post by eastwash » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:01 pm

Setter owners are you using the long or short contacts on your dog?
Two Faced Jake

RoundRiver Setters

Re: ecollar contact length on setter

Post by RoundRiver Setters » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Eastwash, I use the long ones.................Scott
"To be good, a bird dog must give you goose pimples when he's working a bird." 'George Bird Evans'
Scott & Shelley

Heartlands Outlaw Jesse
Stevens Round River Babe
Setter Hills Blue Molly

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:28 pm

We use the regular contacts....but then the most important thng is that the e collar is put on correctly and that is high under the neck and snug

am surprised to how many ecollars i see that are not properly put on and that is one of the leading causes of not getting the proper contacts and the go to cue a dog and then becuase it isn't gettting the proper contact they turn up the intensty then all of a sudden the dog turns the head enough the contacts make contact and then the dog is stimulated to high
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:17 pm

I have always used the regular contacts also on everything, gsp's labs, britt's, ep's, setters. Knine hit the nail on the head about putting the collar on properly.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

eastwash

Post by eastwash » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:51 am

How do you determine how tight is tight enough but not to tight.
Two Faced Jake

mudhunter

Post by mudhunter » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:54 pm

Put the collar on the very top of the neck and make it as tight as you can without actually choking the dog, keep an eye on it to make sure as the dog runs it isn't to tight but it rarely is. Also if you see that its sliding down away from his head its too loose. Your not doing the dog any favors if its too loose.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:04 pm

The receiver under the chin
high up on the neck then tighten the strap where your reaching for the next hole NOT WRENCHING for it
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.