Which book to use?????

T2Georgia

Which book to use?????

Post by T2Georgia » Tue May 04, 2004 12:38 pm

I am sure there are many opinions for this, but can you recommend a few good books to read regarding the "how to" of training a GSP for hunting?

I am new to training hunting dogs, but believe I have found my new passion!

Thanks in advance and happy hunting.

T2

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Tue May 04, 2004 12:53 pm

I don't know of any books, but this is a great video!

http://www.gundogsupply.com/perstarbirdo.html

It covers:

# Understand how your dog learns
# Teaching here, heel and whoa
# Evaluation of your dog's natural abilities
# Why your dog does the things he does and how this effects training
# Introduction to Birds, backing and guns
# Enhance the natural pointing instincts in your dog
# Enhancing and encouraging the natural retrieving abilities in your dog
# Proper use of the electronic collar Tired of whoa posts and barrels?

Tired of videos showing already trained dogs in "mock" training situations? Tired of videos that only show the select best dogs? In this video, "We don't pick 'em, We just train 'em!"

Learn from the best, with in-depth explanation and live training examples of all key points of starting your bird dog. Understand how your dog learns, teach here, heel and whoa, and evaluate your dog's natural abilities. Understand why your dog does the things he does and how this affects training. Use the introduction to birds, backing and guns. Enhance the natural pointing instincts in your dog. Enhance and encourage the natural retrieving abilities in your dog. This video also shows the proper use of the electronic collar.

This video features Jon and Cindy Hann, owners and operators of a pointing dog training facility.

"The Perfect Start" - 2 Hours 31 minutes

Opening to the Perfect Start
Equipment
Head Tucking Birds
First time out
First Retrieves
Introduction to Birds
Using Bird Releasers
Electronic Collar Introduction
The Here Command
The Here Command and the Electronic Collar
Retrieving
Gun Introduction
Teaching Heel
Teaching Whoa
Whoa and the Electronic Collar
Introducing Backing

T2Georgia

Thanks Grant!

Post by T2Georgia » Tue May 04, 2004 1:25 pm

I noticed that you are in Georgia also. I live in the Fayetteville area and as I said in my original post, I am new to this great sport, but have fallen in love with it! Are there any "hunting dog" organizations or clubs in the north Georgia/Atlanta area you would recommend joining? The GSP I have right now is only 8 weeks old, so I am not doing to much training at the moment, but am trying to learn everything I can about the GSP and training. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for having this forum -- I look forward to being part of it.

Regards,

Tommy

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Tue May 04, 2004 1:47 pm

Hi Tommy,

I'm in Cartersville, GA. I just started with my GSP pups last year! I'm going to look into joining the GSP club of atlanta. You might want to look at that also.

We just had a training seminar from Rick and Brenda in N. GA last weekend. It was really good. See more of them at http://www.walnuthillgsps.us

I tend to hang out at Cherokee Plantation in Arurchee. You can see them at www.cherokeehunting.com

T2Georgia

Post by T2Georgia » Tue May 04, 2004 1:59 pm

My Wife's family is from Rome so Armurchee is not too far away! I will have to check out Cherokee Plantation next time we are visiting the area. Can you bring your dog their and hunt?

Thanks.

Tommy

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Tue May 04, 2004 2:33 pm

Yep, you can bring you dog and hunt. They have more info on their site...

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Tue May 04, 2004 7:13 pm

I'm sure that there are a few more books that might be more current, but these are some good ones to start with. Each one has a different outlook on training (just what you need to totally confuse you, huh? :? ) but they make some great points and suggestions:

Gun Dog Training By: Bill Tarrant

The Ultimate Guide to Bird Dog Training By: Jerome B. Robinson

How to Train Your Own Gun Dog By: Charles S. Goodall

Best Ways to Train Your Gun Dog By: Bill Tarrant

Gun Dogs By: John R. Falk

icefire

Post by icefire » Thu May 06, 2004 1:12 pm

Although I am a big fan of the Jon Hann method, I would advise against reading to many different methods to soon. We all get stuck on what works for us and it might take some experimenting for you to figure out the best method for you. a lot of methods have produced good dogs. To start with, talk with folks, choose a method, and unless it really does not work, follow that program all the way! switching methods will only lead to frustration on your part as well as the dog.

Wireviz_lady

the NAVHDA greenbook

Post by Wireviz_lady » Sat May 08, 2004 7:17 pm

A good starter book is the NAVHDA greenbook.
It covers all the basis on training for versitality.
Bec

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Sun May 09, 2004 4:23 pm

The Bill Tarrant books I've read. I liked the one about the Delmar Smith method (written by Tarrant). It's a favorite of a lot of members of the VCOI. I've also mentioned it before in a different post.

What I did was get the ISBN numbers (easily gotten from Amazon.com) and then checked out all the books I could from the local library. Going to college at U of I has its perks, 'cause I could get just about every book through the large library system. Then I read and/or skimmed each one to evaluate, and eventually bought the books I liked. I'd recommend doing the same thing to find a method that you like best.