First encounter with a quail. (with Pics)

SouthDakotaBound

First encounter with a quail. (with Pics)

Post by SouthDakotaBound » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:57 pm

Lily is a five month old female Llewellin Setter. This is her first encounter with a live bobwhite quail. Please read below and give me tips on what I need to do in the future. Thanks.

Well my father and myself went out to the quail fields of my friend's property, we had a quail in a small cage, my buddy (bruce) put the bird away from Lily, she walked over to where he put it at and went on a semi-point, she then started to check it out and I think the bird fluttered and she went nuts, barking uncontrollably. We took the bird away and then put it in some thick stuff, we walked her over and she found it quick. After that she found the bird several other times, barked a lot at it, but after a couple times finding the bird, she started tracking something. Well she never found whatever she was hunting on. But after we got out of the fields, a covey of 15-20 quails got up about 30 yards from us. Did she smell them and went on tracking them?? Maybe?? Who knows.

After that, we taped the bird's wings together and we let her go after it, she went nuts. The bird went under a building and there was enough room for Lily and she brung it out. She grabbed it and mouthed it, played with it like a toy, she went on point and then went after it. It was fun to watch. Almost killed the bird too.

Will post pics later.

BTW, when she played with the bird, I gave her the fetch command, which we been working on lately, she slung the bird my way, I said fetch again with a here here, she brought it over to me and dropped it at my feet. I am a proud daddy right now!

Last edited by SouthDakotaBound on Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whitedogone

Re: First encounter with a quail.

Post by whitedogone » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:34 am

Well, you have your work cut out for you because she now knows that she can catch birds. You should invest in the Perfect Start DVD's. WDO
Beretta S686 Sporting 12g 30"
Beretta Silver Pigeon Sporting 20g 28"
Ithaca (SKB) Model 500 28g 28"
Ithaca (SKB) Model 500 20g 28"
Browning BPS Synthetic 12g 3.5" 26"
Browning BPS 12g 3" 22" cant. fully rifled

SouthDakotaBound

Post by SouthDakotaBound » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:12 am

whitedogone wrote:Well, you have your work cut out for you because she now knows that she can catch birds. You should invest in the Perfect Start DVD's. WDO

But I am pretty sure she won't catch those wild ones, she will bust a couple of coveys here and there. I wanted her to see her first qauil get ahold of one, get that scent in her nose. It might be all uphill from here on out, but it sure will be fun. :D

Chocolate Head

Post by Chocolate Head » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:27 am

IMHO no damage done. I let my dog catch, play with, and kill a pigeon, just to get her excited about birds. After that introduction, and noting that she had a strong prey drive without more bird intro, I did not allow her to catch anymore birds.

Since you have access to wild coveys, stick with that. Take her out for walks and let her find them. She may bust and chase, but it's all part of the process. She will be learning to hunt for the birds, as well as learn that she cannot catch them. Eventually, she will learn that she needs work with you as a team in order to get a bird.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:44 am

Since you have access to wild birds, your job in the immediate future is simple:

1. Don't work any more pen quail.
2. Take the pup hunting all season without any expectation of killing birds. Hunt her alone. If she points and lets you flush, kill a bird for her (assuming you have already conditioned her to gun fire).
3. Let us know how things go.
4. After she's a year or so old, start the steadying process.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:57 am

whitedogone wrote:Well, you have your work cut out for you because she now knows that she can catch birds. You should invest in the Perfect Start DVD's. WDO
I can't disagree with this more for a pup on her first birds. That is exactly the way to get them excited and bring out their desire. After a time or two of that then it is time to start working with native birds if they are available and it sounds like they are. Follow Greg's instructions and she will be alright.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

mudhunter

Post by mudhunter » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:09 pm

Sounds like you got a good situation! I always let my dogs play with a birds once, its part of introducing them to birds. After the one time they never (purposefully) get to grab another bird. If you got wild ones get her out their every chance you get, she will learn not to try to grab them real fast.

whitedogone

Post by whitedogone » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:55 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
I can't disagree with this more for a pup on her first birds. That is exactly the way to get them excited and bring out their desire. After a time or two of that then it is time to start working with native birds if they are available and it sounds like they are. Follow Greg's instructions and she will be alright.

Ezzy
I've never had a problem getting a young pup interested in birds. It can be done without letting them think they can catch a bird. It COULD take a lot of time to break something that doesn't have to be in the first place. I have limited time to spend training pups. So, I really don't want to spend time trying to correct a POTENTIAL problem that could have been avoided it the first place. I do know one thing.... it's a lot easier breaking 'em out and keep 'em from creeping if they never learn they can get a hold of a live one any other way than you shooting it for them. That's what I do ...to each his own..i guess. WDO
Beretta S686 Sporting 12g 30"
Beretta Silver Pigeon Sporting 20g 28"
Ithaca (SKB) Model 500 28g 28"
Ithaca (SKB) Model 500 20g 28"
Browning BPS Synthetic 12g 3.5" 26"
Browning BPS 12g 3" 22" cant. fully rifled

SouthDakotaBound

Post by SouthDakotaBound » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:04 pm

whitedogone wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:

Ezzy
I've never had a problem getting a young pup interested in birds. It can be done without letting them think they can catch a bird. It COULD take a lot of time to break something that doesn't have to be in the first place. I have limited time to spend training pups. So, I really don't want to spend time trying to correct a POTENTIAL problem that could have been avoided it the first place. I do know one thing.... it's a lot easier breaking 'em out and keep 'em from creeping if they never learn they can get a hold of a live one any other way than you shooting it for them. That's what I do ...to each his own..i guess. WDO
Exactly

You do what you do and I'll do what I do, to each their own. Have a good one.