Gun Shy!

MOOSE

Gun Shy!

Post by MOOSE » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:08 pm

Here is the situation. We have a 3 year old GSP female that has come from a neglectful home. She is bird crazy. Haven't had her out on birds really much but knows what they are. I am mainly working on obedience right now. I take her into our "dog" room at home to work on this. The other night she was doing great until my husband cocked his 12 gauge in the other room while cleaning it and she lost it. Started running, cowering, and shaking. Couldn't even see the gun. So I took her out of the room and she just tried to hide under my feet until the gun was put away.

Strat tossing advice my way on how to help her with this. She has such bird drive that I really would like to see how she turns out as a hunter but don't want to send her off the deep end!
Beth
UWP GRCH UMJCH BNJ Shooter's Rising Phoenix CGC-GSP
USUV UMJCH Flying High Rajah TDI- APBT
UJJ CH Legacyk FlwCrk The Old Peublo RD- GSP
UWP UCD UMJ URO1 GRCH BNJ Rumor Has It CGC RN RD NA II- GSP

snips
GDF Junkie

Re: Gun Shy!

Post by snips » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:25 pm

I would not worry about it...Just get her on birds like normal, when she is out chasing shoot a blank behind your back. I have a multiple NSTRA Ch that was always goofy about clicking a gun indoors or dry firing a gun...Same reaction.
brenda

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:48 am

Ditto what Brenda said....
Take this girl to square one, introduce her to her birds and heighten that prey drive as far as you can. Then, when she is in FULL chase under a bird, go ahead and fire that blank gun (.22 cal )behind your back. If the prey drive is there, you can get through the gun shy part.
Baby steps.....

Lab Man

Post by Lab Man » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:34 am

Baby steps is right. I would get this dog on birds, and get the dog crazy for birds. Then I would have an assistant. Plant a live bird, bring the dog down wind and allow the dog to go on point. Have the gunner about 50-75 yards away. Once the bird is in flight and the dog is chasing have the gunner shoot. Its going to take some birds, but have the gunner move closer after each bird. Its your job to read the dog. If the dog ingores the gun fire move closer, if you sense the dog is getting nervous move back. Only shoot one time per bird at the start. I water with a pistol with blanks, 4-10, 20 guage and then to 12 guage. To make sure the dog is used to multiple gun fire I will finish with 2 12 gauges. Take your time and you will get this dog over it. Good luck

whitedogone

Post by whitedogone » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:59 am

Grab a bag full of pigoens a head to the field. As she runs by you, throw a bird towards her. Try to get it right in her face without actually hitting her with it. Let her chase it. When she comes around again do the same except have someone shoot a blank when you throw the bird. Have them a long way away at first. 70-100 yards. Keep doing this and keep working closer with the blank gun. GO slow.
Beretta S686 Sporting 12g 30"
Beretta Silver Pigeon Sporting 20g 28"
Ithaca (SKB) Model 500 28g 28"
Ithaca (SKB) Model 500 20g 28"
Browning BPS Synthetic 12g 3.5" 26"
Browning BPS 12g 3" 22" cant. fully rifled

Buford Boone

Post by Buford Boone » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:56 pm

Good luck.

I've seen many questions about what to do. I have not seen many postings of how it worked out.

Please let us know what you do and how it works.

MOOSE

Post by MOOSE » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:10 pm

I will let you all know how she turns out. I may not push to hard with it this fall. I am just going to build her confidence in EVERYDAY life first. She is such a sensative dog. But WILD for birds. But I was really researching her pedigree today and she has some nice dogs so she has the breeding to do what she is suppose to! Have to work on her recall training and such first though. I will keep you all posted!
Beth
UWP GRCH UMJCH BNJ Shooter's Rising Phoenix CGC-GSP
USUV UMJCH Flying High Rajah TDI- APBT
UJJ CH Legacyk FlwCrk The Old Peublo RD- GSP
UWP UCD UMJ URO1 GRCH BNJ Rumor Has It CGC RN RD NA II- GSP