Lab Pup Help

TXhunter

Lab Pup Help

Post by TXhunter » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:51 pm

Hello guys and gals! New to the Forum and I need some help.

I got a lab puppy about 3 weeks ago from a friend. Shes only about 4-5 months old. She was very well taken care of, but not really worked with. I took her because i wanted another lab (my last one died several years ago) to train and hunt with. She is a very well behaved dog, having good luck crate training her to not chew and to be house broke. she (WE) statred obedience school on Tuesday, she did well. My only concern is that she is the most timid lab I have ever been around. She WILL NOT come to me when I call, she will go to her kennel and sometimes in and out of the house, but mostly she doesn't act like she wants much to do with me. I am NOT mean to her, and I don't hit, yell, or correct her in any means inappropriately. She's not gun shy or scared of water, and loves being outside.

I am just wondering what can I do to get her to be more involved so I can spend more time training, and less time trying to get her to warm up to me....

thanks for the help....
Last edited by TXhunter on Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dlfl

Re: Lab Pup Help

Post by dlfl » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:21 pm

Have you tried keeping treats with you? Call her and show the treat. When she does come, give it to her, pet, and praise her. Do this untill she comes when ever you call. If that doesn't get her to come then use a check cord and gently encourage her to come after calling her. Then give treat, pet ect....
Anyways that is how I would try to correct this.
Dіck

JakeThomen

Post by JakeThomen » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:25 pm

She is a pup... so don't expect/demand too much too soon. She was taken from her mother/brothers/sisters, moved in with a couple, only to move to a new family a month or so later... That is a lot of changes for a baby, which is essentially what she is. Here is my advice... you ready? Spit in her mouth. I know that it sounds silly but I have heard people that swear by it. Dogs have 1 master ultimately and she hasn't had that established yet. As for what you said at the end, me personally, I would do the opposite... I would spend less time on intense training and more time developing a relationship with her. Welcome to the site!!! (I am new too)

TXhunter

Post by TXhunter » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:44 pm

Thanks guys! I have tried the treats, she doesn't seem to interested in them either. I am planning on having lots of time alone with her. I might just try the spit thing, hope she like copenhagen, haha, just kidding! Keep the suggestions coming guys, i really want her to be a good dog one day.

TXhunter

Post by TXhunter » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:58 pm

To The Top

tmoneysju

Post by tmoneysju » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:03 pm

i agree with the bonding, i'd take that dog everywhere and try to make everything as fun as possible. Finding out what motivates her if it's not food definitely probably will help....favorite toy, bumper, etc...

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:42 am

First, just so you understand, no all Lab's are created equal. You can get a dud in a Lab as well as any other dog.

A timid dog is very, very, difficult to work with. They are prone to be noise shy, may not like birds, and are afraid of everything in a new setting like the field. The best thing you can do is to develop a tremendous bond with her so she loves being around you.

If she doesn't show retrieving desire now, I'd probably get rid of her and start with a dog from a good kennel. Is she from good Lab breeding?

Many times, if not always, the cheapest dog you can buy is the best dog you can afford.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

TN_LAB

Post by TN_LAB » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:59 am

My lab pup was a stray. Some days were better than others, but I'd say that is more indicative of the fact that she's a puppy and not a stray.

Bottom line is you've got to make yourself more interesting to her.

I taught my dog recall by treating (use high value treats like tiny pieces of hot dogs) The old "monkey in the middle" game (get 2 or 3 friends a handful of treats and spend time calling and treating).

You can also take advantage of the dog's natural chase instinct. Get excited, clap your hands, stoop down lower, use a higher pitched voice, turn your back while moving away. Make it a fun game of chase (then praise and/or treat).