Training a Boykin

duckman

Training a Boykin

Post by duckman » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:53 am

Does any one know a good book or DVD on training a Boykin, would like one just for that breed
Thanks , Duckman

crackerd

Re: Training a Boykin

Post by crackerd » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:26 am

Depends, really. Are you training for this

or this?

There's Pam Kadlec's book "Retriever Training for Spaniels: Working with Soft-Tempered, Hard-Headed, Intelligent Dogs" which is useful but sort of overstates the case. As nonslip retrievers, Boykins train just like Labs, and can handle the pressure as such for force fetching, drills and advanced retriever work. Charlie Jurney's DVD remake of "Water Dog" might be more helpful in that regard, but any of the retriever trainer offerings - from the likes of Mike Lardy, DL Walters, Evan Graham - would be preferable.

Though neither is Boykin-specific for flushing work, Jim Spencer's "Hup!" is a good primer for spaniel training while Mike Smith's "Working Springers and Cockers" is more detailed.

MG

duckman

Post by duckman » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:33 am

Thanks,Crackered, I had looked at her book and was just about to order it ,will get Mike Smith"s book instead
thanks,Duckman

IANative

Post by IANative » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:18 am

Duckman, are you training strictly for waterfowl, or updand, too? Before you pull your hair out trying to find the one, perfect book, my suggestion would be to buy 'em all. For labs, I only use one book: Retriever Training- A Back to Basics Approach, by Robert Milner. This book is geared towards labs, and a lot of folks consider it outdated, but is an excellent book for obedience and non-slip retrieving for any dog, including my Boykin. But since I want Gunner to be the be all/end all of fowl finder and fetcher, I also parts of each of the following:

Hup!, by James Spencer
Urban Gun Dog, by Tony Roettger & Chip Schleider
Retriever Training for Spaniels, by Pam Kadlec

I've found each book to contain valuable training info, and although I've read each of them from cover to cover (some of them more than once), I don't train from only one of them, but rather all of them. Good luck.

duckman

Post by duckman » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:05 pm

IANative wrote:Duckman, are you training strictly for waterfowl, or updand, too? Before you pull your hair out trying to find the one, perfect book, my suggestion would be to buy 'em all. For labs, I only use one book: Retriever Training- A Back to Basics Approach, by Robert Milner. This book is geared towards labs, and a lot of folks consider it outdated, but is an excellent book for obedience and non-slip retrieving for any dog, including my Boykin. But since I want Gunner to be the be all/end all of fowl finder and fetcher, I also parts of each of the following:

Hup!, by James Spencer
Urban Gun Dog, by Tony Roettger & Chip Schleider
Retriever Training for Spaniels, by Pam Kadlec

I've found each book to contain valuable training info, and although I've read each of them from cover to cover (some of them more than once), I don't train from only one of them, but rather all of them. Good luck.
Hey is that boykin in the photo Gunner (just ducky) ,if so what is the relationship with Justahomewrecker-(wrecker), he is the father of my pup ,Nufced Widgeon gene,
Thanks for your info on the books ,I am glad to be married to a libarian ,maybe I can get these books at a discount. Thanks,Duckman

IANative

Post by IANative » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:21 pm

Yes, that is Just Ducky's Just Gunnin' for Trouble. JustaHomeWrecker is nowhere on his pedigree, but some of the Just Ducky common relatives could be Curlee Gurlee, Justmyluck, Justdoit, Ubetyourbippy, Toohot2handle, JustaSample, Justaslamdunk... they all have a place on Gunner's pedigree.

duckman

Post by duckman » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:38 am

IANative wrote:Yes, that is Just Ducky's Just Gunnin' for Trouble. JustaHomeWrecker is nowhere on his pedigree, but some of the Just Ducky common relatives could be Curlee Gurlee, Justmyluck, Justdoit, Ubetyourbippy, Toohot2handle, JustaSample, Justaslamdunk... they all have a place on Gunner's pedigree.
Wrecker"s parents are Ubetyourbippy and Rocking creek's Webster He also has Justmyluck and Justdoit in his pedigree

IANative

Post by IANative » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:08 pm

Ubetyourbippy is Gunner's grandsire on his sire's side. He also has Rockin' Creek dogs on that side, but not Webster.

OTMBoykins

Post by OTMBoykins » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:29 pm

Common ancestors: Rock'n Creek Beauregard,Rock'n Creek Bird Boy,King's Curlee Gurlee,Just Ducky's Ubetyourbibby,Just Ducky's Justdoit,Just Ducky's Justasample

Your pup has heavy Rock'n Creek blood which is good.

I kept a female from that litter (OTM's Wrecker's License to Carry). She is doing great. How is your pup doing with training?

John Huddleston

IANative

Post by IANative » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:03 pm

Pretty good. He's heck on wheels in a ground fight w/ a rooster.