Gun Dog Commands

grant
GDF Junkie

Gun Dog Commands

Post by grant » Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:40 pm

Is there a standard set of commands that most everyone uses to communicate with their dogs? I'm not asking for the BEST command for fetch or something, I'm just curious as to what everyone else uses...

What commands do you use?

I use Whoa for Whoa

Heel for Heel

Whistle for come

Tap on head for fetch

Tap on front shoulder to relocate. This is kind of a full release. To release with caution, I use easy.

the word easy for the dog to creep toward the bird. I did this because Bell would point at a scent that may be 10 yards or more from the bird. After I try to kick the bird up, and the bird is not found, I say easy, and she will creep slowly toward the direction of the bird and point when she thinks she is closer to it. I don't know if this is good for trials, but it works for me when I just hunting...

When I say "Get your bird" she knows that a bird is out and to start hunting. Kind of like a pep talk to let her know we are looking for birds...

"Leave it" to drop the bird in my hand

"kennel up" to get in the kennel

Grant
Last edited by grant on Mon May 31, 2004 7:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Helen

Post by Helen » Fri Apr 30, 2004 2:07 am

I use:

sit/one long blast on whistle - sit
two pips of whistle - turn
three or more pips of whistle - recall
go fetch - retrieve
get on - depending which dog - pointers = flush, springers = go ahead
heel - heel
hi-lost - dummy/bird is very close to where they are hunting

think that's it but I'm sure there's more :D

Helen

Helen

Post by Helen » Fri Apr 30, 2004 2:10 am

I use:

sit/one long blast on whistle - sit
two pips of whistle - turn
three or more pips of whistle - recall
go fetch - retrieve
get on - depending which dog - pointers = flush, springers = go ahead
heel - heel
hi-lost - dummy/bird is very close to where they are hunting

think that's it but I'm sure there's more :D

Helen

raven

Post by raven » Fri Apr 30, 2004 6:35 am

At the presant time I use:
O.k. and a tap on the fore head to start him off
Whoa & 1 whistle blast for stop don't move
Hup and 2 blasts for move up and turn basicly to get him moving
Come and 4-5 blast for come
Heel for heel
Fetch for fetch
Hold for Holding a brid or dummie
Kennel for kenneling works for the kennel in the truck and at dinner time so he wont beg or try to steal food
leave it - if he's distracted by something other than birds or is looking to get into something thats not his like the kids toys
Drop - For handing me the Bird or Dummie
Good Boy when he dose good
Nothing- if he dose not do what I have asked just a correction
No - For those times he's into somthing he not supost to be also when he barks for no reason
Use to use down but he dosn't jump up much now
Wow more then I thought

emae

Post by emae » Fri Apr 30, 2004 7:07 am

here is what I use:

heel=heel
whoa=stop(although still working on stop RIGHT NOW instead of taking a few more steps)
wait up=slow down
this way=come back towards me
get it=retrieve
ok=release her
drop it=drop whatever she has
sit=sit
load up=get in the truck
stay=stay
get your dish=gets her food bowl for dinner time
and the ever useful "get a beer"=entertainment for company :lol:

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Sat May 01, 2004 6:31 am

Going with the flow in using just about the same commands, I use:

Ho-Whoa
Come=Come
Fetch it up=Retrieve
Give=Release the bird
No Bird=Bird got away (although I'm not saying it's b/c I missed or anything :D )
SHUT-UP!!!!!= Just that :)
Sit=Sit
No=For just about anything else they're doing that shouldn't be....mostly in the house, though. Don't use it too often in the field.
Down=Down
Easy=Take the snack softly (the kids are great ones for using this on them)
That's about it.

PA_Sportsman

Post by PA_Sportsman » Mon May 24, 2004 9:33 am

"whoa" = whoa
1 long blast on whistle = whoa
extended hand = whoa
"crate" = get in your crate ot kennel
"heel" = heel
"here" = come
2 blasts on whistle = come
"hunt 'em up" = finds birds
"release" = release from command
"this way" = change direction
"no bird" = blown or no shot opportunity

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Mon May 24, 2004 10:20 pm

Haven't begun training, but here's my planned useage:

Heel = Heel
Kennel = Get in the crate
Load Up = Get in the vehicle
Quiet = Don't bark

Birds = Start hunting
Woah = Stop moving
Bustem' = Flush the pointed bird if I can't (don't think this will be good in competition, thinking about not using at all)
Fetch It = Retrieve
Here = Come here
Let's Go = Release
This Way = Move in direction I step off into

It's all a mixture of what the training book said, what other dog owners have said when I hunted with them, and what my bro-in-law says. (when a 6'4" 240lb. police officer yells "KENNEL!", even a stubborn 90lb. weimaraner does as he's told. "Kennel" seems to work well... I like that :wink: )

GRIFF MAN

Post by GRIFF MAN » Tue May 25, 2004 12:41 pm

I learned a lesson this weekend while training on watching what to say.

I use the word o.k. to release or a tap on the head. I use both each for different times. Anyway.
I was working on steady to wing and shot. I loaded two launchers next to each other. And let the dog go and bang point. She held the first bird, we launched and shot in the air. She was steady :D . I kicked around and looked back at my helper launching the birds and told the shooter to shoot the next one. Well I said the word o.k. to the launcher the bird went up , the dog broke do to my command and the shooter shot the bird. :oops:

Boy I learned a lesson there. Watch what I say or watch what word I teach for commands.

Griff Man

Lisalongun

Post by Lisalongun » Sun Jun 13, 2004 4:14 pm

Springers

Sit/Stop=Sit with hand signal like policemans stop(or one long blast of the whistle)

Come=Come (or 6 short blasts followed by slightly longer 7th)

Hunt=Hunt on and cast with one hand either to left or right

Gone Away= Bird/dummy has gone so forget about it

Turn= 2 peeps (short blasts) of whistle
(and with the young dog at the mo a growl as he always tries to go just a little bit further!! :lol: )

Seen Retreive=Use dogs name and send him/her with hand signal that starts from near to dogs nose and then pushes away

Blind Retrieve=Dog sitting in front facing me, tell dog to 'Get Back' and again with a similar hand signal to above but the hand is higher in the air and starts like the Sit and you effectively 'push' the dog back. If a long retreive and dog starts to get bit confused, stop them and then re-command then to get back til they get 'There' command.

Dead=give up the bird/dummy

There= a command to help the dog know that he is in the right vicinity and to hunt hard - same as other Hi-lost command

Heel

Down/Stand

They also have lots of pet training commands - don't know if anyone else does them on this forum, as many of the dogs are kennelled .

Kennel Up - to get in car/cage

Wait - speaks for itself.

Leave - food dropped by careless partner or his kids :roll:

In your Bed.

Off (if jumping up or on something - I do encourage my dogs to jump up at me, as I find they like to have that as a reward - but it is always under control and they obey straight away. I do not tolerate them jumping at other people)

Go Busy - now this is a good one, as my dogs will toilet on command within 30 seconds-1 minute of me issuing it - good for when you want to take them for a short walk (I do not allow toileting/sniffing whilst on the lead) - or if you are going on a long car journey to tell them before we go and also if we have to stop at a service station. Also can let them out in garden for quick pee and bring them back in straightaway - don't have to wait for them to perform :wink:

Tidy up - they bring their empty bowls back to me to put them away when they have finished.

They also have learnt various 'trick' commands, gimme five, wave, go to sleep
There are lots of others but I am too tired to type them all, as been working all weekend :sleepy2:
Will get back with a full list

Also a question - Am I the only person the teaches their dog to toilet on command, or did everyone just forget to write it, or don't need to use it?? :toothy8:

Lisa

WildRose

Post by WildRose » Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:06 pm

Nope Lisa you aren't the only one.... "Go Potty" works real well for us. The trouble is they learn the other things like "Lets go" which are only the first two words of lets go outside, which preceeds "go potty" and some of them are even figuring out such things as "it's time" or even trying to spell p o t t y . LOL

Training commands I keep real simple. Two short blasts is turn, one long blast is come in. Here is here. Whoa is stop. No is no for any no no HA!

Around the house the other commands are just as simple. Go to bed, lay down and the ever popular NO.... CR
There's a reason I like dogs better'n people

QCBirddogs

Post by QCBirddogs » Sun Jun 20, 2004 5:47 pm

I try to keep my commands to the basics as mentioned earlier.

In a trial situation, you have to be careful what your release commands are. SUrprising how many times the word "OK" comes up in a conversation!

Also, like in any other competitions, there are sore losers and cheaters. I have had other trainers and handlers try to blow whistles to relocate dogs on point, or even say .....OK! If you are considering competition, you might want to consider teaching the dog to relocate by a touch only.

Phil
QC

Colleen

Post by Colleen » Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:22 pm

OK, got the basics that everyone knows, sit, stay, come, heel.

I also use go potty. (Anyone have a command for "lift your leg and pee like a man?)

Drop it=drop your tennis ball or other toy--if we are training and he needs to retrieve it to hand he does so when he sees me squat down and put my hand out, so it's not necessary for training.

Get down=get your hairy summer-shedding self off of the couch

No=any no, I like this nice versatile little word. If this ever fails, then "Bad dog" stops him in his tracks with big puppy dog apology eyes.

Leave it=leave it

Stop=whoa (sounds too much like "No")

One long whistle=turn around and pay attention to me NOW; this can include directional hand signals if he is off-track on retrieve

Second whistle=come

Go on=release command (good point about "OK")

And lastly, this isn't a verbal command, but we taught him to only accept food or treats from someone's left hand (We had to train our people to do that as well, with me being the only southpaw)

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:52 am

GRIFF MAN wrote:I learned a lesson this weekend while training on watching what to say.

I use the word o.k. to release or a tap on the head. I use both each for different times. <snip> Well I said the word o.k. to the launcher the bird went up , the dog broke do to my command and the shooter shot the bird. :oops:

Boy I learned a lesson there. Watch what I say or watch what word I teach for commands.
I ran into the same thing on the verbal "OK" and my dog's tendency to accept commands from anyone. E.g. The judge saying "OK, handler, flush the bird".

I don't know how it will work out, but I am now trying out not releasing my dog from a whoa condition with anything but a tap on the head or the "Here" command. When I heel him, I tap him on the head.

I just want to keep things as simple as possible.

Decoy

Post by Decoy » Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:30 pm

I release whoa with a head tap AND an "OK" Together.
I can say "OK" and the dog does not move from whoa.
The "OK" command probably does not do much but since i use them together everytime -- when we are hunting and I want the dog to range out a little further or move on i say "OK" and he moves on.
"OK" becomes a confidence booster and an assurance that everything is OK.

Decoy

Post by Decoy » Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:33 pm

What is the best way to incorporate a whistle command with come?

Just call the dog with your "come" command and then give the whistle command?

Any tricks, steps, do's and don'ts to this?

sudiegirl

Post by sudiegirl » Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:14 am

actually decoy, you could have asked your wife what she did yesterday to associate the whistle with "come" using the non-pea end of a 2-toned whistle, i whistled the same 2 tone whistle i use when whistling from my mouth to call them back in out of the deep dark woods yesterday..... when judge was close enough to hear it, he came right on in, and 3 hours later, it worked for condor. i am sure this is NOT the way you are supposed to do it, but it served its purpose yesterday. out of curiosity and because i don't want to teach my dogs stupid things, what IS the correct method?
sudie

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:17 pm

I trained Bell to come with "come". Later, I wanted to to also use a whistle, so I would make her whoa for a bit, and then bast the whistle then say come and I would treat or praise her. It only took about four times until Bell knew to come on the whistle.

Hope this helps...

WildRose

Post by WildRose » Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:41 pm

Once they understand "come" or "here" or what ever you use and recognize their own names, simply blow the whistle, get their attention, and call them in... pretty quickly they learn to respond just to the whistle. Personally I do NOT want my coming just to a whistle; I want then to come to their name. That way I never have to worry about them accidentally getting called in by another hunter, or want them ever responding to commands of another handler that I might be huntintg with who also has a dog down. CR
There's a reason I like dogs better'n people

sudiegirl

Post by sudiegirl » Fri Jul 02, 2004 6:12 am

so would using a very specific group of "notes" on a whistle then be ok, or bad?

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:15 am

I use one blast of the whistle for release and short repeated blasts for come.

Rick and Brenda mentioned to me at one of their seminars that two whistles with separate tones MIGHT create confusion in the field. (You have to think about which whistle to grab…) Makes sense to me, I don’t want to worry about which whistle to grab as Bell and Carl are headed over the horizon =)

Grant

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Fri Jul 02, 2004 3:02 pm

I like to use one blast to release a dog, and a couple of blasts to turn them. I do not use a whistle to come. I lean over and pat my knee when I want them coming to me.
brenda