Blank Pistol Caliber

gar-dog

Blank Pistol Caliber

Post by gar-dog » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:12 pm

I need to get a blank pistol pretty soon. My 10 month old Britt does not at all seem shy to loud noises. Thunder, local firworks don't bother her. I can fold up my belt and pop it and she doesn't turn her head. I can clap real loud and no problem. (Our house is full of kids, TVs, Guitar Hero, itunes, doors slamming - I think you get it.)

So my question is.... should I start out with a .22 or 209 primer, or go ahead and jump to one of the .32 caliber blank pistols?

I want to order as soon as tomorrow online from either LCS or Gundog Supply. I don;t want to spend over $69.95 which seems to be the going rate for a mid-level one.

Thanks,
Gary

gar-dog

Re: Blank Pistol Caliber

Post by gar-dog » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:15 pm

P.S. If anyone knows of any screwy NJ laws that might come into play with blank pistols, please let me know.

Keny Glasscock

Post by Keny Glasscock » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:16 pm

I like the 209 for regular work but I don't intro with that. I use a 22 crimp for the intro and always in conjuction with birds. I don't experiment with noise. To hard to fix later.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:18 pm

Gary, no screwy laws in NJ. You can mail order a blank pistol without any issue.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:24 pm

Keny Glasscock wrote:I like the 209 for regular work but I don't intro with that. I use a 22 crimp for the intro and always in conjuction with birds. I don't experiment with noise. To hard to fix later.
It will be with birds, something to use at the dog training club I joined.

Do people lead up to a shotgun blast in increments, or do you just train well with, say, a .22 blank and then go from there?

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:25 pm

Karen wrote:Gary, no screwy laws in NJ. You can mail order a blank pistol without any issue.
Now that is surprising!

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:27 pm

Tell me about it! I still travel with mine in the trunk for good measure, but as long as the barrel is solid, you can mail order them legally.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:49 am

Gar-dog -

A blank gun is NOT a firearm. If it is incapable of producing a projectile it does not fit the definition of a firearm. That is an ATF designation. Therefore, gun laws do not apply to solid barreled blank guns Anyone, in uniform or not, who maintains otherwise, is in error.

That being said, I do not carry mine on the seat next to me, becaus that would be just plain stupid. I also have a blaze orange pistol pin protector on each of my guns.

As far a choices are concerned, there is no longer any need to buy a .32 caliber. It is not required by AKC and it is also no longer required by AFTCA at championships. A 209 primer pistol is the way to go because you can use it in just about any venue, at any level trial. The loads are dirt cheap compared to even 22 crinmps and waaay cheaper than .32 blanks.

Kimar makes a fairly rugged pot metal one in the price range you quoted. I am on my second Kimar.

RayG

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:29 pm

RayGubernat wrote:Gar-dog -

A blank gun is NOT a firearm. If it is incapable of producing a projectile it does not fit the definition of a firearm. That is an ATF designation. Therefore, gun laws do not apply to solid barreled blank guns Anyone, in uniform or not, who maintains otherwise, is in error.
Thanks. I checked the laws at the NJ online website, and the only thing I could find about blank anything was that "blank ammunition" is not "ammunition." However, here in NJ things like slingshots are illegal and you need an FID card to buy a BB gun. My concern was that I may need a pistol permit, which is a one time permit you have to apply for per hangun purchase.

Thanks,
G

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:50 pm

Gar-dog -

I used to live in NJ, so I am acquainted with their asinine(and may I say totally ineffective)gun laws.

The answer to that, as you already know, is ABSOLUTELY NOT. You do not need a pisto purchase permit.

You may need a firearms ID to purchase primers in NJ because they are an ammo component. That would not surprise me.

RayG

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:03 pm

The 209s are loud. I have one and wouldn't trade it for anything. But I use a Wal-Mart cap pistol for pup intro.

Greg J.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:50 am

Greg -

I completely agree. I also have started my pups with a "dimestore" cap gun.(Guess I just gave away my age...again)

I do also have a .22 and I use Fiocchi or Flobert acorn crimps with youngsters. They are just a little bit louder and sharper than a capgun.

RayG

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:10 am

I think a small pistol is fine but I have always stared my pups with a 20 guage. I just let them get 40 yards or so away while chasing and then shoot with the muzzle pointing away from where the pup is. Much of the loud cracking sound from a shotgun is when it is pointed in your direction and when it is pointed away you do not get that loud crack. I really think many times the pistols are louder than the shotgun becauseof the muzzle blast. The shotgun produces a lower pitched sound that seems to belargely unnoticed by a pup thats engrossed in something.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:28 pm

RayGubernat wrote: Kimar makes a fairly rugged pot metal one in the price range you quoted. I am on my second Kimar.
RayG
I ended up ordering the Kimar 209 primer pistol. Online it appeared more solid and seemed to have nice rubberized grips. Gundogsonline.com got it two me in three days with free shipping. I also bought the holster and they threw in a free whistle with lanyard. It has a nice weight to it while not being too heavy. And frankly it is almost the spitting image of a little S&W. Nice. We'll see how it works this weekend.

Thanks for all the advice.
Gary

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:17 pm

Having discussed the issue with a cop or two, they recommend you treat it like a gun - keep it in a different part of the vehicle than you while transporting, etc. Also, most have a red or orange cap in the end of the barrel - which only says "blank gun" when someone is looking down the muzzle. It was suggested to me that it is a very good idea to paint it bright orange, or yellow, or whatever. Plus it will help you find it when you drop it in the grass.

Also, although a blank gun is not regulated as a firearm in NJ, using one in a threatening manner carries the same penalties as using a real gun. So red plastic plug in the end or not, if you wave it at someone and say you're gonna shoot them, you're gonna go to jail...

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:38 pm

I would think at some point, blank shotgun shells in a "real" gun would help. There is a big difference between a one-handed pop gun and a handler swinging a long gun at a flying bird. LC Supply will sell you 12 ga.
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:57 pm

I think I will graduate her to 12 gauge popper loads at some point. And frankly, carrying a shotgun in the field is good training/conditioning for me.

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:00 pm

nj gsp wrote:Having discussed the issue with a cop or two, they recommend you treat it like a gun - keep it in a different part of the vehicle than you while transporting, etc. Also, most have a red or orange cap in the end of the barrel - which only says "blank gun" when someone is looking down the muzzle. It was suggested to me that it is a very good idea to paint it bright orange, or yellow, or whatever. Plus it will help you find it when you drop it in the grass.

Also, although a blank gun is not regulated as a firearm in NJ, using one in a threatening manner carries the same penalties as using a real gun. So red plastic plug in the end or not, if you wave it at someone and say you're gonna shoot them, you're gonna go to jail...
This one does have a bright orange plug in the end, rather than a cap, but it is fairly noticeable. And yes, waving a toy gun at someone anywhere is not a good idea. And I'm a middle-aged father of three - far from that kind of a yahoo anyway.

This reminds me of a time when I was commuting to work to NYC and in Penn Station an apparent schizophrenic off his medication was waving around some long replica sabre and yelling. The cops popped him and killed him right there.

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:18 pm

gar-dog wrote:I think I will graduate her to 12 gauge popper loads at some point. And frankly, carrying a shotgun in the field is good training/conditioning for me.
And most of us!

PS: When I ran more regularly than I do now, every once in a while if I was feeling 10 ft. tall and bulletproof, I'd try to follow my dog, literally. THAT's a way to get in shape.
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com

Vom Britt

Post by Vom Britt » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:56 am

Years ago I purchased a New England firerarms blank pistol which will take 22 cal. stud loads. The blank loads are reasonable, less than $4 for a box of 100 and are available in a variety of charges brown color the lightest. Does New England firearms still manufacture a blank pistol?