Brand New

Kodiakk

Brand New

Post by Kodiakk » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:34 pm

Hey folks I'm from a little north of Houston. I'm brand new to upland training and eager to get into it. I just brought home a 8 week old Brittany boy last weekend. I have a bit of experience showing in the AKC ring when I was a teenager and trained retrievers and went to retriever hunting tests also. I hope you folks don't mind a few questions.

I'm joining the local Brittany club, but the website seems to not be used since last year. I was wondering if there was a website with all the different clubs upcoming hunting trials. I would like to go to some hunting tests to learn some more, see what is expected, and meet some folks. Where do I find this kind of information?

I come from Alaska. I've never been around poisonus snakes before so that is a real concern for my dog. How old should my pup be before I take him to one of the snake avoidance classes. From what I've read they are never to young. Is this correct?

I notice a huge difference down here in terms of land. Up in Alaska and Oregon there were tons of land to just roam. Down here in Texas I notice everything is owned and costs huge amounts of money to use. Is there any hints on where there is some land to let my pup run free? I've been looking online for bird hunting clubs in the area, but I haven't had much luck. Everything I've found is land used for serious hunting and cost a arm and a leg. Is $1,000 a year to low of a figure to find some decent places to hunt/train? Any clues on where is a good place to start looking?

Anyone got some clues on where to find birds to train with around the Houston area? I'm trying to prepare to have everything in place for when it's time to start working with my pup. I did order some books and videos that I've read on here folks thought were good.

Sorry for all the questions, but I haven't had alot of time to get out and explore much and learn how it's done in Texas since I just came in from working 300+ days a year offshore on oilrigs. I work in the shop now. It's also a good excuse to introduce myself to this forum.

So here's my new boy.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Brand New

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:35 pm

welcome aboard

As for snake avoidance...thing is if it is done right ..the dg will relate everything to the snake
the pup needs to be extremely comfortable with the check cord and i will do my pups when the collar will fit them right between 4-6 months if they are old enough to play where the snakes are they are old enough to get bit and I would much rather have mine bit by an e collar and not a snake putting the odds in my pups favor...and the way we handle it I have not had any issues with my pups and playing and hunting the day after snake avoidance

you might want to join the brittany club there you will get the trials coming up and the results of trials
http://clubs.akc.org/brit/

right now just keep thing simple and fun

on the home page of GDF there is a link to articles there are some puppy articles of what you can do to start guiding your pup into being the birddog you want in the future
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

vern3

Post by vern3 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:29 am

Welcome and congrats on the new addition. You will get alot of great info here on this site.
Have fun

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:19 am

cute pup. You might be interested in checking out these.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dualbrittany
www.brittany.org

Mary Karbiner should be able to give you some contacts in your area. txbritts@sbcglobal.net

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:34 am

Hi and welcome! Cute pup where did you get him?
How north of Houston are you? Will be happy to introduce you around to some of the good TX Brittany folks if you feel like coming to the dog shows being held in Houston the 19-23rd of July at Reliant Stadium. Your Brit Club, by location would probably be the Bluebonnet Club or Texas Coastal. Bluebonnet is headed up by David Downing ( Blueridge Kennels) and Texas Coastal is headed up by the Crawfords ( Mary and Jim)...ALL of whom are just super people.

Texas is home for my husband and my adopted home as well.

I'm leaving this coming Tuesday at o Dark Thirty and headed your way for the San Antonio and Houston circuit of dog shows. My family is in the Pearland/League City and I'll be staying with them while down there. A very good friend and fellow trainer, Doug Growden is just north in Katy. Doug boards and trains as well as offers up weekly training sessions on his lease in Katy . I'll be happy to take you out there and introduce you if you want when I get down home....I'll have a couple days in between the San Antonio shows and the start of the Houston shows. Would love to meet you and your pup!!

If nothing else make a plan to come out to the dog shows in Houston and I'll introduce you around. Just about everybody from the TX Brittany community will be there. :wink:

jascolt

Post by jascolt » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:02 am

Smart looking pup. :D. I am sure you wont miss those chopper rides to and from rig in whiteout conditions :(

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:22 pm

Slight correction on those show dates:
July 17,18,19,20 at Reliant Stadium in Houston.

TrueBlu Shorthairs

Post by TrueBlu Shorthairs » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:27 am

I would second that you contact Mary Karbiner, David Downing, Jim and Mary Crawford. Several of the TX clubs have training leases that will cost you far less than $1,000. Since your background is tighter cover, show dogs, and retriever training, first thing I'd tell you..forget everything you know at this point. Get with David and ask him to help you with the dog. Ronnie Sale in Jonesboro, TX is an invaluable resource for help, lessons, has 200 fenced acres for training, offers lessons for $50 an hour, trains all breeds. Attend the Houston area hunting tests and possibly trials and watch and learn. Hunting Tests will start in October or so.

VLadyInRed

Post by VLadyInRed » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:57 am

You can check the akc website for upcoming events. http://www.akc.org/events/search/

Your pup is a cutie!

Kodiakk

Post by Kodiakk » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:10 pm

Hey folks, thanks for the warm welcome. :D

I'm from Humble Texas just right outside of Houston on the North east side. I got my pup from http://www.diamondcreeksportingdogs.com/ In Kansas. I met them up in OKC while they were going to a dog show up there to pick up the pup.

Kiki's mom, I'll definatly show up for that dog show on Sunday. I'd love to meet some folks from around the area. You have a PM.

Jascolt, I actually miss working offshore quite a bit. There are very few jobs like that left in the world where it's a challenge physically and mentally. Most jobs don't have even close to the air of excitement and living by the seat of your pants. The oilfield is very unique. I sure don't miss the heat and humidity of offshore and working for 3 or 4 days straight without sleep. Being on call 24/7 didn't really bother me much and I might go back out there someday. Our company has a district up in Casper Wyoming and I want to retire to Montana. I'm far from retirement though.

My hopefull goals with my pup competition wise I would like to get him his show champion title, and do hunting tests with him. I'm not sure about the field trials since I see alot of horses and coming from high mountain country I've only rode a horse once in my life and have no room for one.

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:55 pm

There are walking trials too :) Caught your PM and sent one back. David Downing, Mary and Jim Crawford, the Kilpatricks, Probably Vic Carrington's other half, Mitsue Nakamura, Jessica Carlson, to name a few will definately be in attendance at the show. DO come by and introduce yourself!!!! Looking forward to meeting you