Pigeon Question

jasonf1

Pigeon Question

Post by jasonf1 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:32 am

I am new to raising a pointer and have many questions? I have a 7.5 month old Elhew Pointer and I would like to start training the dog on live birds. I know the cheapest way t odo this is pigeons but I live in town. If I have a pigeon coop within a few yards of my dog will it wreck the dog. I fear she may get used to them and not try to find them in the field. Has anyone else had a similar problem and how did they fix it.

Thank you for your help,

Jason

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Pigeon Question

Post by Sharon » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:54 am

I live in the city.
I look out and regularly see my dogs pointing and backing "bleep" birds, releasing themselves, chasing.

Never happens in the field.

Why? I don't know.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

daddyfid

Post by daddyfid » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:48 am

Jason,

I have had my pigeon coop in my yard and have had no problems. My dog is now 16 months and Scout has been around the coop every day since I brought him home. He still has the drive in the field to point pigeons. When I first got the pigeons he would spend about 12 hours a day chasing the birds. Now he does not pay much attention to them until I put the collar on him and get my training gear ready.

High Voltage

Post by High Voltage » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:02 pm

Our pigeon coop and duck pen are right across from the dog kennels and within the wireless fence bounderies and we have not had any problems. Our dogs are kenneled when we are gone for the most part other wise they are in the house or have the run of the yard. When we get a new dog they spend some time hanging around them till they figure out they cant get them then they ignore them......till they are in the field or water :D