New to training...buying a brittany.

nowicki2005

New to training...buying a brittany.

Post by nowicki2005 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:58 am

I am buying a brittany from a liter that is to be born sometime here in mid june and will be taking it home in early-mid august. I have never owned a bird dog so I am totally new to the training aspect. I am trying to look for some sort of guide as to when stuff should start being taught, a rough guide. I know that a lot of it depends on how quickly your dog grasps things etc.... but what I would like to know is when some of you start training yourr dogs.

For example: at 8 weekss....then at 12 weeks......then 16 etc........ Also, any other tips, general info, advice or comments about brittanys would be welcomed.

jeckel

Re: New to training...buying a brittany.

Post by jeckel » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:21 am

Chief's Brittanies has a great how to train section on their website that starts at 8 weeks and goes up to 8 months. It has video and troubleshooting tips.
http://brittanys.com/Brittany_training.htm#8weeksup

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:22 pm

http://www.gundogforum.com/index.php?page=gdfarticle19
http://www.gundogforum.com/index.php?page=gdfarticle21

also research this board there is a bunch of great info and help

biggest thing is have fun seek some trials near you there is NSTRA and AKC and AF NAVDHA hunt tests extra where you can see some other dogs in action to give you a better perspective as to what you may desire

also talk to your breeder..hopefully they can guide you with soem helpful advice our who the reccomend if your not close enough

where are you located
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

nowicki2005

Post by nowicki2005 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:12 pm

I live in Portland, Michigan which is about 20 minutes west of Lansing

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:03 pm

Michigan has three very active Brittany clubs. They run their trials at Ionia which is very close to you.Good chance the breeder of your pup belongs to one of the clubs.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:12 pm

brittany club and also NSTRA is popular there also

NSTAR is a walking format where the dogs ahve to point and retrieve

AKc and Af are some walking but a lot of HB type trials

both formats can get you started where you can turn your dog into a fine hunting dog to should you decide to go a step further and get bit by doing more with your dog

I think Brittguy can get you links to the brittany clubs there

www.nstra.org go to the regions page to find some trials near you or call the president of your region for contact info
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Maverick

Post by Maverick » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:40 pm

You are surrounded by some good pretty good brittany folks out there.
As was said, Ionia hosts quite a few brittany trials every spring and fall as well as the Brittany National Gun Dog CH is held there every year.
There is lots of great information available on this board with many different points of view.
I also highly recomend the Rick Smith puppy development videos to all new puppy owners, they will guide you through most of what you need to do when you get your first bird dog!!
http://www.huntsmith.com/puppy.php
http://www.huntsmith.com/puppy2.php
Good luck with your new puppy and be sure to post up some new pictures when you get him/her home.

Mav......
We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare.
And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

Knine's Ghost Rider

Paisley

Ch Ruffwood's Dixie Girl FD

nowicki2005

Post by nowicki2005 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:21 pm

Thanks for the replies. On the 14th, the breeder said that her "club" would be hosting a "fun day" which is basically a picnic where everyone gets together with their dogs and stuff. I think that it is the West Michigan Brittany Club. I plan on going to that and it should give me a good chance to learn a lot and meet some new people

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:43 pm

I thought you might enjoy these pics!

If you didn't get to see Moose in person, this is your new pup's sire:

Enjoying his time at home:

His grandmother:

And an older daughter...a half sister to your pup:

ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:23 pm

Great shots Karen, they should be on the Brittany calendar. All of the gundog stakes at Ionia that are put on by the Brittany regional clubs are walking .

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:33 pm

The pics are courtesy of Phil Corlew, Moose & Kim's owner. My youngest was bred by Phil and a Moose granddaughter, hence all the pics.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

nowicki2005

Post by nowicki2005 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:36 pm

Thanks for posting the pics!

Brushbustin Sporting Dogs

Post by Brushbustin Sporting Dogs » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:26 pm

I take that as Kid's Kid Lone River Moose???

Robbie
Robert Myers

Rajin Kennel

308-870-3448

Brittanys are Best enough said...

BBD's Ca-Ching
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1061

Brushbustin's Ebbie SH
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=678

BNJ's Dirty Dozen Dixie
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=869

nowicki2005

Post by nowicki2005 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:55 am

yes it is

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:18 am

nowicki2005 wrote:I am buying a brittany from a liter that is to be born sometime here in mid june and will be taking it home in early-mid august. I have never owned a bird dog so I am totally new to the training aspect. I am trying to look for some sort of guide as to when stuff should start being taught, a rough guide. I know that a lot of it depends on how quickly your dog grasps things etc.... but what I would like to know is when some of you start training yourr dogs.

For example: at 8 weekss....then at 12 weeks......then 16 etc........ Also, any other tips, general info, advice or comments about brittanys would be welcomed.

Your dog is at a learning high when it is young.
It can learn so much .
Start the day it comes home.
When it comes towards you say, "Come". Best time to teach come. Same for down, stay , off, leave it etc. say the words as it's doing the action and it will learn in no time.
Not "formal training", but important training.

See f you can find a Rick Smith Puppy Foundation Video too.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Maverick

Post by Maverick » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:36 pm

If you are purchasing that puppy from Diana at Renegade Brittanys you will have tons of support and help in training your puppy.
I have know her for a while and she has been around the breed for a good long while. Her and Gary and are stand up people and will point you in the right direction when ever you ask.
Say hi to her for me when you talk to her again from Andre and I may see you at the picnic if I make it down for the day.

BTW, that pup you are getting looks like it should be a heck of a pup from a great litter! Great choice.

Mav.....
We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare.
And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

Knine's Ghost Rider

Paisley

Ch Ruffwood's Dixie Girl FD

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:39 pm

I am no expert by any stretch, and brought home my Brittany pup last Halloween. You are not alone and there are plenty of people out there to support you with advice. here is my 2 cents:
1) When the new pup is home, just have fun. Let the puppy be a puppy and explore its surroundings. The first month or so just focus on housebreaking (via crate training - a must!). teach the pup the "here" or "come" command. Play with and socialize the puppy.
2) I first put a lead on my dog at about 12 weeks and would take it for walks. drop the lead and let it run around. (they are easy to catch at this point). take it to the fields and let it explore and sniff everything.
3) At 4-5 months my dog was running on a check cord and would come when called- we were still just having lots of fun.
4) At 6 months or so came the e-collar. Around this time was limited introduction to birds.
5) Ginger is about 9 months old now and headed to a trainer this summer. We will focus on intro to the gun, steady on birds, etc. She will hunt this Fall. She is maturing and figuring things out. She is pretty obedient and loving and a joy to the home.

Generally, I suggest that there is no rush. You don't have to know everything now. You will learn from each other. Focus on obedience and establishing yourself as the boss.

Congrats on your dog and enjoy your journey. I am sure enjoying mine.
Gary