Starting to train on Backing/Honoring

roghatch

Starting to train on Backing/Honoring

Post by roghatch » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:42 pm

I am having a problem trying to get my Vizsla to back. I am looking for hints, ideas, techniques, etc to help me along. My girl is 2 1/2 going on 3. Can do everything required for a field trial and hunt test except backing/honoring. I am not entirely sure she knows what I expect of her but I may be wrong.

The tools I have are...
1. Vizsla
2. Live Quail
3. Wooden cut out - spray painted rust (I could not find an auto backer anywhere)
4. Bird Launcher
5. E-collar
6. Check cord.
7. Me... alone... to do the training.

Help.

KY Grouse Hunter

Re: Starting to train on Backing/Honoring

Post by KY Grouse Hunter » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:18 am

Put a quail into the launcher and stand off the cut-out on the bird on point. Then Check your dog in on a cord to where he cannot see the cut-out pointed, (maybe behind a barn or brush). When you bring the dog around the obstacle that is blocking the view of the situation, the pointed cut-out will catch the dogs immediate attention and maybe even surprise him into backing. Now what I like to do is as soon as the dog sees the cut-out on point, I command WHOA and immediately lauch the bird. This makes the dog feel as though he or she caused the bird to flush and not the cut-out dog. After the bird has flushed I like to pick up the dog and reset him to the point where the infraction was made, just to kind of show him what he should have done.
Sally's Branch Duke
Sally's Branch Copper

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Starting to train on Backing/Honoring

Post by Sharon » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:13 pm

Suggestions:

I'd be using pigeon not quail so you can be sure of a strong flush.

I put some short white streamers on my cut-outs tail ( They move in the wind a bit.)so it gets the trainee's attention better. Don't bring the trainee straight behind the cut-out. Come from the side a bit so it can see a better dog silhouette. Coming up to the top of a small hill where the fake dog is standing works well too.
Make a real effort to team up with some one else who has a dog who points. Nothing beats the real thing.

How are you going to handle it after the bird flushes?
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett