Soft Dogs??

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Soft Dogs??

Post by Sharon » Thu May 29, 2008 7:22 pm

Interested in your opinion.

I attended an excellent seminar by a well known, highly - regarded trainer on the lecture circuit.

He believes that there is no such thing as a "soft dog".
He believes that the dog assumes this positioning/ style to avoid complying just as a "head strong " dog assumes his behaviour.
This was a whole new thought to me. What do you think?
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

markj
GDF Junkie

Re: Soft Dogs??

Post by markj » Thu May 29, 2008 7:57 pm

I think some dogs like some people are "meek" timid so to speak. Each has its own "personality" seen it in horses too. Some are all fire and go, some are lazy and all slow.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu May 29, 2008 8:15 pm

Of course dogs are different just like every other spiece. Some are stronger willed and we call those hard headed and some are soft and timid. I know some say it isn't so but there is no way you can deny it if you have worked with a lot of dogs. I think some do act submissive as a way of dealing with pressure but I don't think a dog can think well enough to decide how to act to get out of work.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Thu May 29, 2008 11:54 pm

He is full of Bull. Some dogs are more timid than others. Some require more correction than others. My dog requires a stronger correction sometimes than my friends. Many times all he has to do is call her name in a sharp short tone and her behavior is corrected.

mtlee

Post by mtlee » Fri May 30, 2008 5:00 am

romeo212000 wrote:He is full of Bull. Some dogs are more timid than others. Some require more correction than others. My dog requires a stronger correction sometimes than my friends. Many times all he has to do is call her name in a sharp short tone and her behavior is corrected.
My 2 are polar opposites in that respect. It takes a 2x4 to the face to get the Shorthair's attention, a strong "hey" will catch the EPs attention and he'll stop whatever he was doing.

Rick Hall

Post by Rick Hall » Fri May 30, 2008 5:11 am

I think you could wear yourself out on the semantics of "soft" - or "hard-headed".
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2009-2010 season log)

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri May 30, 2008 5:44 am

I think you're trainer you listened too was wrong, or you interpreted what he actually said, incorrectly.

If you define a "soft dog", as simply a dog that takes less pressure to train, and a "tough" dog as one that will withstand more pressure, then certainly there are, soft and tough dog's. This has nothing to dog with how tractable a dog is or how intelligent a dog is, it is about how much pressure is applied to a dog for a specific result.

With some dog's, you can take them from beginning to end with a 6' lead and a choke collar. Others require a pinch collar and a heeling stick for minimal results. They're all different. Is there such a thing as a dog that is too soft to train? No.
Which one is more enjoyable to train, the soft dog or the tough dog? I'll take the softie every time.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.