Bird Dog Training & Kids

portsider44

Bird Dog Training & Kids

Post by portsider44 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:16 pm

As some of you may know I am in the process of getting a new pup (Vizsla). I am also the father of 4 wonderful kids, 3 girls & 1 son. My son who is 13 has been hunting with me the last 2 years.

Anyways I was wondering if you involed your kids in the training of your dog & if so to what point???

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:38 pm

I am also the parent of 4 kids...3 girls and 1 boy! :D My daughter (who is also 13) is involved in every step of training. She helps with the retrieving, whoaing, pointing, everything, also including feeding and cleaning up after them and getting to sleep with them at night. And then she gets the reward of hunting behind them. The more time they put into training the dogs, the better they understand what all is involved in getting a good hunting partner as well as learn to appreciate hunting more as well as have more respect for the dog and visa versa. And, it's great time to spend with the kids!

pear

Post by pear » Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:21 pm

In my opinion, the younger they are the better they are at helping with the socialization process, and also in my opinion that is the very foundation good bird dogs, and well rounded families are built on........."pear"
"When I was a kid, I used to pray every night for a new "puppy". Then I realized that the Lord, in his wisdom, didn't work that way. So I just stole one and asked him to forgive me".

Arti
Nikki
Diamond
Bailey

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:00 pm

I got an opinion about this too. :roll: Here goes, hope I don`t get in trouble again. There is nothing better for dogs than kids, IF, you teach them to have the utmost respect for the dog and try to not allow lots of commands that are never inforced. Some of the worst dogs I have had in to train were vertially "raised by the kids" and did not think they had to do anything you tried to teach them. They are pulled and tugged on all their life and are dulled to any correction given them. If raised right it`s the best, if wrong, the worst.
brenda

APRock

Post by APRock » Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:32 am

Very important for dogs to be socialized into the "family". They have to learn their place and the family has to learn how to enforce that. EVERYONE that is going to handle that dog either in the field or at the home needs to be involved in the training.

SNIPS I know exactly what you are talking about. Got invited to go hunting last year - his dog was a 4 yo GSP, "..great bloodlines, cost me a ton of $$...yada yada yada...." That dog SUCKED! My dog was on his 1st season and ran circles around this dog. Nice enough dog, great nose, fantastic disposition, but completely undiciplined and untrained.

This guy figured if he spent $800 on a pup it ought to hunt great for him. All he had to do was make sure the wife filled up the hopper on the autofeeder. Sickening.

Pretty comical watching this dog respond instantly to anything his wife said but completely ingnoring him as long as she was around. I wish she was a hunter!

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:50 am

Kids and dogs are better when raised together.

Best regards, Greg

doublea

Post by doublea » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:37 am

I have my 10-year-old son help out by flushing birds and firing the blank gun. I figure it’s a win win for both of us. He gets to learn how to approach a dog on point and learn some gun safety via the blank gun at the same time and I get to concentrate on running the check cord and training the dog by having both eyes on the dog at all times.

TAK

Post by TAK » Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:09 am

Lets talk about the negitive about this? Hmmm

Can't think of anything!

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:43 am

The dogs are much easier to train

but seriously...To be able to raise a child doing the outdoor things is great ..not only are you doing more with your kids which hoipefully keeps them out of any serious trouble when they get older it should help to provide a stronger family bond which this country is needing to get back to
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

sudiegirl

Post by sudiegirl » Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:17 am

snips wrote:I got an opinion about this too. :roll: Here goes, hope I don`t get in trouble again. There is nothing better for dogs than kids, IF, you teach them to have the utmost respect for the dog and try to not allow lots of commands that are never inforced. Some of the worst dogs I have had in to train were vertially "raised by the kids" and did not think they had to do anything you tried to teach them. They are pulled and tugged on all their life and are dulled to any correction given them. If raised right it`s the best, if wrong, the worst.
VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY valid point!!!! well said and very true!!

portsider44

Post by portsider44 » Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:44 pm

Thanks for all the replys!