Hunt Tests

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Hunt Tests

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:01 pm

I have a friend asking about Hunt tests he is wanting to get started He has a young britt and there is a hunt test coming up i believe in April....

What are some things that you would recommend he work on for the Junior Leg of the tests ...I am sending him this link to this forum as I know Brenda and others on this board are who I trust for some real solid advice

Thanks In advance
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

gundogguru

Post by gundogguru » Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:18 pm

First off have fun. say as little as possable to the dog. when the dog goes on point let the judge know. have your blank pistol in your hand get as close to the dog as you can if your not sure the dog will hold. Don't run. As a judge I hate to see a handler run to there dog. Most times the dog see's them coming full bore and flush any way. when the bird gets up fire ONE time. If you see your dog blowning you off just follow the dog and make the judge think that the dog is doing just what you want them to do.If you yell and scream at them you are lossing points fast. Last thing. HAVE FUN if your not having fun you should not be there. Good luck.