Gun Shy Cure CD

Country-Side Breeders

Gun Shy Cure CD

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:24 am

Has anyone tried this CD for curing gun shyness? I'm thinking about getting it, but wanted some opinions on it before I do....

http://www.gundogsupply.com/gunshycure.html

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:47 am

Whats the dog doing? Might save you 50. bucks.
brenda

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:51 am

The guy shot the shotgun off right next to her on their deck...need I say more?

I'm not that big on spending the $50 on a cd either, but I thought I'd get some opinions from anyone that's had any experience with it...personally, I don't believe it can work...but anything's possible these days.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:02 am

I put gunshyness in 2 catagories. Gunsensitive, and gunshy. Gunshy to me is the dog that hears a gun and leaves the field and is back at the truck. Most dogs are gun sensitive, this is the dog that it visably bothers but they will go back to hunting. They may come to your side or look away at the shot. I would not do anything until I saw the dog in the field. Has he ever had the dog on birds or hunted the dog or seen if it effected the dog there. What scared the dog on the deck may well be forgotten once in the field and after the do is made bird crazy.
brenda

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:26 am

You're right, I classify them as 2 different types also, as well as noise sensitivity. This dog is gun shy...she hears the gun and runs in between my legs and won't move unless I take a step, and then it's still in between my legs. She was partially trained, not by him, as a young pup. Since then (she's 2 1/2 y.o. now), she hasn't seen any birds, with the exception of the chickens on his farm that she used to chase...and then got verbally reprimanded...which also made her timid of birds, but I fixed that already. Yeah, she's a project for me. I realize I can work on the gunshyness with small gradual steps too. I've started with the household noises (which she freaks out over too...including quietly clapping your hands while she's playing) in very small steps. In the field, I'm still letting her chase all the birds she wants. She's a fantastic retriever though! :D

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:33 am

That last sentence is your best bet for reintroduction of noise. I would use a blank pistol with the crimps and as she is chasing down a bird shoot at a far distance. I have done this by checking the reaction each time, I would not shoot at all next time around birds. Then let her chase 2 or 3 more next time, once again shooting at a distance, only on one, just as she is catching the bird. You say she has not been on birds but say she is chasing birds. ???
brenda

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:40 am

Sorry about the confusion...she was on some birds back when she was a pup for training and then didn't see anymore until she came here. I've gotten her to the point that she's not afraid of the birds (quail) and will chase them. I don't say anything while she's doing it, just letting her have fun. I've also taken out some other dogs with her to show her that it's a fun thing to do...that's helped a lot. I also can't train her on a check cord because when she gets on one, she heals. But her listening skills are very good and she doesn't range far, so it's not an issue.

I do plan on using the blank gun, but not for quite some time. I want to make sure she's ok with every other noise that I can think of before doing that. I have metal kennel doors that make quite some noise when they open and close and that's she's gotten ok with. We're making progress, it's just going to take awhile. :)

Gregory

Post by Gregory » Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:29 pm

In my opinion I think you are on the right track. I would continue with what ever noise you are creating. If you think what you are doing has a shot at getting the dog over her noise Phobia ,then you should not have any doubts about Steve Rafe cd.Same principle.

I don't want to get in to it with anyone on this board like I did with the Wonder lead.But I do have an opinion I would like sharing with you in regards to birds and gunshy dogs. My feeling is ,that every time you mix gunshy dogs with birds you are taking a chance that you will undo any gains you made in regards to bird work,plus also have the dog associate the gun noise with the bird. Which may turn the already gunshy dog to a bird blinker as well.My opinion ,take it for what is worth.

If this was my dog and I had made sure the dog was gunshy,I would take the dog to a gun range and I would stake him out 100 yards from the firing line.Thene once the dog calmed down and he will then I would move him closer by 25 yards. Then move him again by 25 yards each time he was calm and relaxed at the privious distance. From there I would reintroduce the dog to birds as though he was a pup . Steve Rafe's CD introduces the cure to the dog,by first with mild gun fire cd.just as I suggested as the first step.Then his cd's get louder and yet louder ... Untill the dog become desensitized to the gun noise. Eitherway in my opinion will work. Just a thot......
G

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:08 pm

I've heard of people taking their dogs to the gun clubs and gradually moving in closer to it, but I'm not one to go for it. But then a person wonders, why wouldn't it work? Folks take their dogs and put them in a pen with birds and wait for them to take to birds...same theory I think...scared straight?

I'm going to continue working on getting her adjusted to noises and bringing her out with the other dogs. Maybe by fall we'll have another dog to take to Iowa with us...we'll see.

Gregory

Post by Gregory » Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:29 pm

Patty.
I know it sounds extreme, but not anymore extreme than closing the door and turning out the lights on child that is afraid to go to sleep in the dark. same principle.
While I might not hesitate for a second to do as I suggested, you on the otherhand must do what you feel comfortable with,bottom line..
Good luck.

G.

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:45 pm

Thanks Greg! :)

Gregory

Post by Gregory » Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:47 pm

You're welcome.. :)
G

ckfowler

Post by ckfowler » Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:44 pm

Never used it but Steve Rafe has products to address this. He has a message Board as well.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SportingB ... =149543792
Colin

birddog

Post by birddog » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:25 pm

I used it and it did not work!
Janet

llewgor

Post by llewgor » Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:29 pm

is this the master voice? if it is i've used it too and it did not work. the dog got used to the nosie on the cd but not the gun fire. however it did work with my nephew's dog playing the cd with the dog in the house as fireworks went off outside. they play music timed at the dog heart beat.
i don't know if there is a easy cure such as the gun range or if it is a long process like chasing birds more birds more birds then chasing birds with some one else at a great distance firing a blank.
here's a idea how about a chain gang with nongunshy dogs at a gun range. maybe the confidence of others well help.
Billy
"Change the way you look at things, and the things you look at change"

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=147

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=152

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:21 pm

I have a friend that raises and trains GSP's. He also trains for other people specializing in gun shy dogs. He has great success with very few failures. Usually takes him a couple of months but would be money well spent in my opinion. Think he quarantees his work also.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.