Received Dogtra 2002 Train and Beep!

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Received Dogtra 2002 Train and Beep!

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:59 am

I ordered my Dogtra 2002 Train and Beep from Covey Run Kennels. Good service and a great price.

The dogs ran with them yesterday, but I haven't had a chance to test them or to tell where the correct stimulation setting is for both dogs.

Sometime next week I'll start breaking them to the beeper.

Best regards,

birddog

Post by birddog » Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:47 am

Tell us more.
I am interested in the locate and would like to know about the beeper. How far can the beeper be heard? I have a train and locate now but I have a hard time hearing it if the dogs get into heavy cover. Sometimes they can be only 30 yards and I can't pick up the sound from the beeper. I ask because I do like the option of both train and locate. Could you give price and how to contact Covey Run Kennls?

Please! Don't say its time for a hearing aid. :(

Janet

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:44 am

Hi Janet,

I'll try it out for awhile then do a product review the way I do my reviews of hunt tests (See http://www.gundogforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1027 ).

http://coveyrun.net/pages/dogtra/dogtra_index.html is the Covey Run Kennels page for Dogtra e-collars.

Note the part that says

"WE OFFER SPECIAL DISCOUNT PRICING!*

Please proceed to our check-out page after you have finished shopping--you will see our best prices on all DOGTRA products reflected there!

*DOGTRA requires us to list all their products with only their MSRP Pricing"

I don't want to say more and get anyone in trouble.

-------------

So far here is what I can tell you:

o Everyone that I've talked to, including people that are in the e-collar business tell me the Dogtra collars are very very close to being as bullet proof as Tri-Tronics.

o The collar/receiver is the same size and weight as my Tri-Tronics. Keep in mind that my Train and Beep does not have the pager function.

o The speaker is on the top of the collar and is angled to the rear. That should make it easier for hunters to hear and easier on the dog.

o I like the size of the transmitter. It's about twice the size of my cell phone. The transmitter comes with a belt clip and a lanyard a'la a whistle lanyard. I can see times that I would use it around my neck, but I'll more probably use it as a safetly line and attach it to my vest, belt or something.

o I do NOT like the power adjustment. It is analog. There are no detents. Also, there is only one Constant and one Nick button. I *love* the flexibility of my Tri-Tronics. I have 6 detent settings. Without changing, looking down or anything, I can select low, medium or high nick and medium constant (which seems pretty hot to me). If my dog is being hard-headed, I can reach down and click up from 2 to 3 without looking. Also, the detents are deep/positive enough that brushing it against something, etc. isn't going to change the stim setting.

o I really like being able to control the beeper from the transmitter.

o The charging system is very nice. You can charge both collars and the transmitter in at the same time.

o The collars some in a nice carrying case.

o The instruction manual leaves a little to be desired, but it isn't much of an issue.

More as I get some experience,