Do any of you stimulate the pups minds?

markj
GDF Junkie

Do any of you stimulate the pups minds?

Post by markj » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:02 am

If so when do you start?

I start as soon as they are aware, eyes open they begin to become aware of things like noise. I snap my fingers and move it around, they soon start to follow, makes it easy to train later on using finger snaps, I also try to give em little toys to play with after they become used to these I hide em in the straw so they have to use the nose to find the toys :)

Then after the teeth show up i get em on a soft treat like liver boiled and a small amount of rice. Then yep I hide some small pices in the straw so their nose can find em. Stimulates their minds, gets em ready to work for you.
Then a live quail, this really gets em going, lets em know scent is a good thing, helps to evaluate the natural pointers and the ones that need a little help.
Mygrandpa taught me this method many years ago, he did setters way back when, Dad went race horse so I learned a bit about lines and breeding from him.

Just thought I would explain a few of my training methods that have made some good gun dogs.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:40 am

I start the day they are born with stimulating the 2 senses they are born with
sense of touch and sense of smell
I use the Monks of New Skete method a bit modified for bird dogs but the first 4 weeks
stimulating the feet tail ears rolling around in my hands cold and then warming next to me then comfort back with mom.

First time i was asked about this I had a litter of pups on the gorund which were only a couple days old I tested on 2 pups and with in 24 hours there was a difference in how those 2 pups tried to move around versus the others..they had their legs a little more underneath them and were a bit more controlled in their movements...it was a noticeable difference over the others

Then as the eyes start to open i turn on lights and also put in toys in the box...so as the eyes start to focus they see different shapes

I also start to clap my hands calling puppy when i come in the room right before the ears open

also feed them i different areas of the house make loud noises off in the distance and asscosiate it with coming out and eating
i will work it to the point where i ahve food out will open their pen and have someone cap a kids cap gun where the food is so the pups go to the food upon noise

after they play I have gates on the whelping area I will open up a different one or move the opening and sit in side and let the pup figure out how to get to me

I will put little collars on them at about 4 weeks of age then also attach little leaashes on them let them run around and I will step on the leashes letting them learn to give to the collar and leash
I do this because I don't think the first time a pup is exposed to a leash and collar is their first trip home and on the side of the road for a potty break

i will also itroduce them to birds
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:46 pm

Yep! Monks of New Skete.
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:00 pm

"The Monks of New Skete". I didn't think anybody else read it and here's two of you! That is a great book. Read it in 1985 I think it was.
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:00 am

sense of touch and sense of smell
Yes I do that, got it from newborn colts. Dad had me rub em all over to get a human bond started. I helped get the racers halter and lead broke before they got too big. I hate horses.......had one take off in the barn, run 100 ft full speed right into the pole me hanging on. Guess who was laid up for a week? I hate horses... Dogs are so much easier. Cant recall what Dad called that right from birth, rub em all over get em used to your touch, I do it with the dogs, never gave it a thought as if it was helping the development like the other things I do.

Play toys are so much fun to watch em tussel over.

Anyone have a copy of that book? I can borrow?
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:06 pm

yep, day 1 :) "Bio-sensor method" plus tons of love and cuddles, toys from the begining, though mama might steal them :wink: and the hiding thing. I haven't done it in the box. But when they come out to play and explore I hide little treats and toys.

Maverick

Post by Maverick » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:15 pm

I used the Monks of New Skeete method as well for my last litter and can not say enough good things about it.

Mav.....
We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare.
And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

Knine's Ghost Rider

Paisley

Ch Ruffwood's Dixie Girl FD

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:01 pm

I am going to get that book, I read a few things on a google search.

Dad called it "Imprinting" had to do it so the horses would accept us from the first moment.

Brought pups in today with mom dog, all are better off there I belive.
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:20 pm

we did a very similiar thing also with the colys and fillies when I was in cal. day one getting them used to touching handling and also the halters

Would sack them our with our hands lifting the foot a bit then letting down bending the had just a little working on lots of little things here and there

do the same with dogs in a manner of speaking

get them over the Can't, Wait, but don't touch there spots

True Unity Tom Dorrance he was a guru to many very well known horse trainers of today

john Lyons and richard winters were two of my favorites in the horse world
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:32 pm

I start right from day 1 with stimulation. Rubbing pup, turning them this way and that. I also "share breath" with them to imprint on them.

After eyes are open stimulation really begins. Toys are put in with them, even more handling, rolling them on their backs, stressing them with lots of rubbing.

I also expose pups to various temperatures. Cool packs are put on bellies for brief periods. This makes pups MAD and gets them screaming! I put as much stress on the pups as Mother Nature would.

Pups are taken out to the johnny house at 6 weeks of age with Mom and allowed to scent the birds in the house. Shortly after birds are tossed out of the johnny house for them to chase.
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:43 pm

Yep ...Also in the Monks of new Skete book

stressing the pups from the start also releases endorphines which have been proven to help the immune system.

pups that stress out on new things or new places or a pup that requires some surgeries at a young age stressing the body severly will be a bit more prone to come down with coccdia parvo and other puppy diseases and other things then a healthy more confident bold pup.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:58 am

stressing the pups from the start also releases endorphines which have been proven to help the immune system.
I will start doing that. lots of great help here, thanks to all of you guys and gals. Now I really gotta get that book, time for a library trip to town
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935