how to introduce to birds?

vgcas

how to introduce to birds?

Post by vgcas » Fri May 11, 2007 6:39 am

my dog is 12 wks gsp. at 10 wks i planted a couple quails and let her scent it and flush it (navhda). i also took a wing out of a pheasent and hide it in my yard and let her scent it but never grab it. hickox introduces with lock wing bird and tosses it in confined area. and lets the dog play with it. navhda says dont let the dog get the bird. i would like to know some thouhgts on this so i have a better idea.. i also started her with heel. come, and very little woah work (table) 2 minutes day right now. hickox say no obedience until intro to birds and gun. isnt that a little late to start obedience since all the "experts say gun work shouldnt start until at least 6 months.
p.s can you lock wing a quail?how?

smilinicon

Post by smilinicon » Fri May 11, 2007 7:55 am

lots of ways to skin a cat. Read all you can from trainers and apply the things that fit you and your dog. A lot of trainers sure are set in their ways! I am no expert, but it sounds like you are doing the right things to me. Beware using the pheasant when pup is small.

I believe you just put both wings behind the bird, put a wing in front of the other, then fold it normally at the joint a bit.