Fetching and "Whoa"

meastt

Fetching and "Whoa"

Post by meastt » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:13 am

1st post here.

Training question:

I have a 6 month old GSP who is a wonderful dog (but my first gun dog). He is a very strong natural retriever and has great prey drive.

Currently, when I fetch with the Dokken dummy, I am giving the "whoa" command, throwing the dummy, having him hold for about 5 seconds and I have got him to where I can walk around, he will hold and then when I tap his head, he will bolt to go get it and bring it back......Now I think this is awesome, however, will/could this hinder him in the hunting world or will it help?.....I like it, but that doesn't really matter. I am doing this for only about 10 minutes at a time and usually once in the morning and once in the evening.

Thanks all.

getzapped

Post by getzapped » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:06 am

That is pretty much what our trainer told me to do. Dont let her release until you can touch her. He explained that by releasing her by touch will ensure that you will be in a position to shoot, hook her to a lead or whatever else. Im curious to see what the seasoned folks on here have to say also.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Re: Fetching and "Whoa"

Post by DonF » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:07 pm

At some point down the road, the rules will change. he'll be more mature and you will send him for a bird or probably he'll break at the sight of a shot bird falling. Sounds like she's doing very well, you change the rules now. Freeze a bird solid for a new retrieving dummy. When you start using it, let it thaw about 30 min, thaw the feather's good and get the neck loose enough it won't break throwing it. Then start over doing what your doing now, just substitute the frozen bird for the dummy. Do everything the same. Then down the road, the rules won't change! And when he's doing that well, shouldn't take much, switch to a fresh killed bird. It'll be the same routine your doing right now. Also start moving yourself away from her to throw the dummy.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

meastt

Re: Fetching and "Whoa"

Post by meastt » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:59 pm

DonF wrote:At some point down the road, the rules will change. he'll be more mature and you will send him for a bird or probably he'll break at the sight of a shot bird falling. Sounds like she's doing very well, you change the rules now. Freeze a bird solid for a new retrieving dummy. When you start using it, let it thaw about 30 min, thaw the feather's good and get the neck loose enough it won't break throwing it. Then start over doing what your doing now, just substitute the frozen bird for the dummy. Do everything the same. Then down the road, the rules won't change! And when he's doing that well, shouldn't take much, switch to a fresh killed bird. It'll be the same routine your doing right now. Also start moving yourself away from her to throw the dummy.
This is great advice, thank you!