field mice

jryan85

field mice

Post by jryan85 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:33 am

My 8 month old britt pup has started pointing and chasing field mice the last few times in the training fields. It seems to happen from bordem when he gets on birds early he is fine but I have cut the number of birds down in each field and having him hunt a couple of small fields making him really search them out to find birds. And he has been on a couple of hunts that is when it really showed aftet about 30 minutes out he really started on the field mice. I just let him go thinking he will lose interest as he gets older and has more and more bird experience. I just wanted your guys thoughts on it. Since this is my first bird dog and I havent seen any post about the problem. Thank you

GunDogAdventures

Re: field mice

Post by GunDogAdventures » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:45 am

Search for "Mouseing" or "Mousing" and "Tweety". Pup is only 8 mos old (emphasis on PUP). He's discovering his world - very typical - and you hit it spot on with boredom being the cause. Since you know where the birds are, just do your best to ignore his antics, call him off of them (leash/checkcord if necessary) with "No Bird, Hunt 'em up!" and lead him toward the birds. Don't use too much pressure, make it all fun and games at this age. Good luck!!
A dog on point.....steady, yet trembling,
Breathing in and tasting the gentle breeze.
Take a moment for yourself to soak it all in,
All the training, the hard work.....it really has paid off.

Lily: http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=4
Chevy: http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=6

jryan85

Re: field mice

Post by jryan85 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:42 pm

Thank you I always forget about the search feature. I am completely new to birddogs have alot of guys willing to help but scheduleing is always a problem. So this forum is great for questions and answers from very experienced people When friends are unavailable