Shed hunting

jahwarrior1423

Shed hunting

Post by jahwarrior1423 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:05 am

Any of you handlers train their dogs or have a specific dog for shed hunting? How do you go about training a dog for shed hunting?...side question, which breed would be better to shed hunt with?...lab, GSP or other?

MGIII

Shed hunting

Post by MGIII » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:33 pm

I would assume a lab would be best suited for shed hunting. http://sheddogtrainer.com

crackerd

Re: Shed hunting

Post by crackerd » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:45 am

That would be a poor assumption. Labs (and all non-slip retrievers) operate on the precept of sight over scent - i.e., "marking" over hunting. For pointing dogs and spaniels, that's reversed. Though for some spaniels, if so trained, it's interchangeable. Thus

Shed hunting's done with the nose not the eyes - any gundog (or dog period with a hint of retrieving in its DNA) can do it, and will do just fine.

MG

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:47 am

I have seen a lot of shed hunting dogs and know a bunch of people who train them. All were labs except for two goldens.....................Cj

jahwarrior1423

Post by jahwarrior1423 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:37 pm

I guessed labs because they're used for narcotic/explosive detection which is based strictly on scent. My wife and I have been talking about getting another dog for our family and I was interested in a lab and was wanting to train him for sheds.

MGIII

Shed hunting

Post by MGIII » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:04 pm

All the shed hunters I've seen have been labs

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:06 pm

crackerd wrote: Image

Shed hunting's done with the nose not the eyes - any gundog (or dog period with a hint of retrieving in its DNA) can do it, and will do just fine.

MG
Well if this one of those Ford VS Chevy Vs Dodge, thread, then one of the best Blood tracker and shed finder is a Wire haired Dachshund. Found dead and wounded deer during the season stay in shape finding sheds in the late winter early spring and summer finding sheds Dachsunds are great built close to ground, tenacious trackers, they can go places bigger dogs cannot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:27 am

gundogguy wrote:Well if this one of those Ford VS Chevy Vs Dodge, thread, then one of the best Blood tracker and shed finder is a Wire haired Dachshund. Found dead and wounded deer during the season stay in shape finding sheds in the late winter early spring and summer finding sheds Dachsunds are great built close to ground, tenacious trackers, they can go places bigger dogs cannot.
Teckels uber alles, gdg - could ask your buddy over at Sunrise Kennels about this bunch http://deersearch.org/the-dachshunds-of-deer-search/

And Labs are the predominate shed hunting dogs because Labs are the predominate gundogs out there in number. But doesn't make them more suited for locating - and retrieving - sheds.

MG

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:44 am

[
Teckels uber alles, gdg - could ask your buddy over at Sunrise Kennels about this bunch http://deersearch.org/the-dachshunds-of-deer-search/

And Labs are the predominate shed hunting dogs because Labs are the predominate gundogs out there in number. But doesn't make them more suited for locating - and retrieving - sheds.

MG[/quote]

Yes, I know about the New York Testing program. A good friend with Dratharr went to NY, just outside of Poughkeepsie and blood track there for his license. when he got there, he could not believe how he and his Dratt were out number by many "Rough Coated Dachshunds" He was just amazed at the drive and talent for the work these little dogs had.
The Wire coated dogs made Gary feel right home.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:30 am

I didn't want to have to do it, but you've forced my hand - another vote for spaniels shed hunting:

I will say though I am also partial to teckels as I have a "kaninchenteckel" LOL. I don't hunt with her really but I would be so bold as to say she has a better nose than the spaniel does. She gives tongue on rabbits too.

Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

jahwarrior1423

Post by jahwarrior1423 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:55 am

How would the smaller dogs handle with long hikes?...coues deer here in AZ are at high elevations and mule deer cover large areas. Our deer here aren't like what is in other parts of the country. And our elk are in rough parts of the state with high elevation.

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:30 pm

[quote="CDN_Cocker"]

I will say though I am also partial to teckels as I have a "kaninchenteckel" LOL. I don't hunt with her really but I would be so bold as to say she has a better nose than the spaniel does. She gives tongue on rabbits too.

Now Cass on what basis do you judge your Dachsie nose to be better than your Cocker? Foot scent or body scent? How many birds/rabbits has your Cocker produced properly wild or in training how many birds/rabbits has the Dachsie produced?
These are the factors needed to compare noses between 2 dogs regardless of breed.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:49 pm

gundogguy wrote:
CDN_Cocker wrote:

Now Cass on what basis do you judge your Dachsie nose to be better than your Cocker? Foot scent or body scent? How many birds/rabbits has your Cocker produced properly wild or in training how many birds/rabbits has the Dachsie produced?
These are the factors needed to compare noses between 2 dogs regardless of breed.
Sounds to me to be more the results of how many hours have they spent in the field. I do agree though that we can not judge nose by what they do in the field. It would take a much more controlled test to even have a clue.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

GSP4ME

Post by GSP4ME » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:30 pm

My avatar was purchased as primarily as a pet and a shed hunter. It wasn't until I got him that I became interested in upland hunting. He will be used extensively next spring to find antlers.

That said, got to throw another mention out there for the spaniels. Specifically the Boykin. My brothers Boykin duck/dove/turkey dog is also a shed finding machine.

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:02 pm

GSP4ME wrote: ...got to throw another mention out there for the spaniels. Specifically the Boykin. My brothers Boykin duck/dove/turkey dog is also a shed finding machine.
Such has been my experience -

with Labs bringing up the rear. But the shed-dog training marketing wizards know their audience - and the demographics therein (Labs, Labs, Labs).

MG

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:54 pm

No scientific basis Hal, just when playing she usually finds things quicker than the cocker. He is obviously a better bird dog as that's what he's bred for and has also put out more rabbits but both those things are because he's the one i hunt. The dachshund does a bit of blood tracking ( quite well i might add) but that's it. She's mainly a pet and my fiancé's dog. I'm more partial to the cocker for obvious reasons lol
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr