Garmin Pro 550 or Tri-Tronics Uplander

Mills51

Garmin Pro 550 or Tri-Tronics Uplander

Post by Mills51 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:44 pm

I am looking at purchasing either an Uplander Special G3 or the new Garmin 550. Those that have the new 550 how do you like it? Has anyone worked with both collars and what was your favorite.

RichK

Re: Garmin Pro 550 or Tri-Tronics Uplander

Post by RichK » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:10 pm

I love the new 550. I really like the addition of the lighted collar.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:30 am

I've never used either one but I suspect the difference in them is like night and day. The cost new gap is huge! I would expect the Pro 550 to do far more than the Uplander. I think the question is probably what do you really need? I am really conservative on what I want an e-collar to do. 1/2 mile range is plenty for me. let's face it, if your dog is out 1/4 mile and not responding, it won't make much difference if your e-collar will work from 10 miles, the dog isn't handling and there a real good chance that even at a half mile you can't see it anyway! It isn't made today but for me the ideal collar has one button and instant e! Control nic and constant with your thumb. If it were me choosing between the Pro 550 and the Uplander, I guess you would know the way I'd lean. Ont thing I'd say for the pro though. I like the shape of the body, just fits in the hand better for me. I also have a pocket on my bird vest that is made just for that type a body, old vest! Right now I have twp DogTra collars. They have three buttons, nic, constant and vibrate. Really to many buttons for me, I could easily do without the vibrate button, it seldom get used.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Mills51

Post by Mills51 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:27 pm

Thanks Rich my initial thoughts were leaning to the Garmin, the price looked great. However, if you want the beeper the price ends up being about the same and I am always leery of buying a brand new model. Especially when they have a whole new manufacturing line. Anyone else out there using the 550 and can compare to the Tri-Tronics Uplander?