Training a new 8 week old Small Munsterlander

jegan

Post by jegan » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:27 am

Hi everyone, I just got an 8 week old Small Munsterlander pup. I have been researching for five years for just the right breed (and also convincing my wife to get a dog). I have also been reading as much training material and watching as many training videos as possible. Now that I finally have my pup, I would like some expert advice on implementing training. I will give you my expectations for my dog (Finn). Finn will be a family dog. We have two young children (2.5 and 1) as well as several young nieces and nephews who frequently visit our house. Finn will also be my hunting companion for doves, ducks, geese, pheasants, grouse, maybe rabbit/squirrel and possibly some blood tracking (especially during bow season if needed). I am clicker training and desire a dog that will be exceptionally obedient in both the home and the field. I desire Finn to perform all basic obedience very well in addition to holding point, being steady to shot, retrieving, and being calm in the blind. I also need him to be gentle with the children specifically no jumping up on them (or anyone) and also no nipping. Currently, we are working on crate training him. I am also working on building a strong positive association with the clicker. The first night, I spent about two hours introducing him to the crate and building a positive association with it. He did exceptionally well the first night. I am sleeping next to him on the couch. Though I woke up to let him out two hours and three hours after I put him down, he remained asleep. I let him be and he ended up sleeping about 5 hours straight. Last night was a bit more difficult. He was being very whiny. I was up about every two hours with him. I never take him out from his crate while whining. I wait until he stops (and usually lies down > click/treat) and then take him out to eliminate. However, he was still being unusually whiny. Maybe this is normal. I do not know. Can you help me with my crate training? My next step is to teach him his name. Following that, I want to teach come, look at me, sit, whoa, lie down, stay, heel, stopping (and sitting) on a whistle, possibly some scent tracking, etc. I am unsure about scheduling. I do not know if it is too early to begin certain training or when the best time to start the specific training is or what is the best order to train. I took him for a walk last night and feel as though heel should be taught as soon as possible. I didn't like being dragged the entire walk. However, I do not want to potentially inhibit him from naturally hunting out in front of me either. How do you teach an 8 week old puppy to heel? Can you help me with these questions? Sorry for all of the newbie questions. I really want to do this right from the beginning. I have also always appreciated all of the feedback and advice that I receive from this forum. It has always been so helpful. Thank you in advance!

LeonStagg

Re: Training a new 8 week old Small Munsterlander

Post by LeonStagg » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:09 pm

Best of luck with your new pup!
My advice is to select a training program that is proven and stick to it. Be patient and consistent as you take him through basics. Simplify as you begin, the various skills you listed all start with the basic fundamentals. Enjoy the journey!

(My large Munsterlander is finishing up his advanced transition work now, lots of fun as he is really handling now)

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:32 pm

So nice to read how excited you are about your pup.
You are right on track with crate training.
Whining often increases as pup will test whether you are going to be consistent or not.

"How do you teach an 8 week old puppy to heel?" quote
You don't much. Remember he is still a baby and these things will take time. Take things slowly.

MOre tips here on heeling but NOT for an 8 week old- later.

viewtopic.php?f=89&t=47030

socialize!

http://www.deesdogs.com/documents/dogsocialization.pdf
Last edited by Sharon on Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:23 pm

An eight week old puppy just needs to learn a few things. One, that you bring everything good in the world to it. Two, he needs to learn about the whole wide world by going just about everywhere with you - and seeing everything. And if you're wanting a dog that hunts independently, part of this whole wide world is romps in the deep grass and shrubby thickets (don't stay on the path with a puppy). Right now, it's all about socialization - get that pup meeting as many new people and new sights and sounds as you can. I'm also a big fan of crate training, but I do try awfully hard to make sure they're going in the crate when they're tired (a tired puppy is a good puppy). Whining is normal, you will likely outlast it!

Bluesky2012

Post by Bluesky2012 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:11 pm

A few points. Visit duckhuntingchat.com. The dog forum there has an outstanding sticky with how to start a new puppy (crate training, etc). For now, socializing and intro to birds is all that matters till about 6 months. For the most part, aside from socializing in every environment, less is more. Sure you can do a lot, but it won't mean or do much. If you wait till 6 months, you can start formal obedience and do it much faster, and much better. Second, the clicker is the same as consistently saying good in the same tone of voice. A clicker can't be heard in a field. I think it's a waste.

Get perfect start for your basic pointer info, and after getting a good start there, use either duck dog basics or smartworks to begin retriever work. I don't know your breed well, but with most versatile breeds, the mature slower than retrievers so don't rush it.

Also, my pet peeve, a bird dog needs birds, not bird wings, not bird scents, etc. Get birds.

Also, it's 8 weeks old. Let it grow, and quit stressing over heeling. Only thing to work on is not nipping (hit it's nose, close it's mouth and say no, etc) for that. For jumping, read a thread below this.

Again, socialize, and while it's young less is more. Also if you want to do it right, just get a pro to do it for you or work with a pro yourself.
"it shot a many shell over the top of an old bird dog"

LeonStagg

Post by LeonStagg » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:20 pm

I heartily agree with Bluesky2012, SmartWorks is a solid retriever program.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:53 pm

I agree with the previous posts for the most part. For me heelwork is the very last thing that I train to a pup that will be expected to hunt. Anything too serious in the way of heelwork training at an early age could inhibit the pup as a hunter.
I encourage young pups to recall to me using voice and whistle and body language and I encourage a very basic simple, run-in retrieve for various suitable retrieve articles including dead game. Apart from that I just take pups short walks through woods and fields and maybe walk over a shallow stream or two . That's about it really until they are considerably older than the 8 weeks mentioned.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

Munster

Post by Munster » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:04 pm

Congrats on the pup.. Having 3 myself, I will tell you from lessons learned.
1st year teach it it's name, to come when called 100% of the time. I like to use "Here" it carries further. Most important, as a good friend call is, teach it to be a good citizen. Take the pup hunting as much as you can, which with its age probably wont be much. Just try. Keep it short and fun. Recognize when pup is tired and leave.

Worry about the training and obedience and stuff next year.

Where did ya pick your pup up from.
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.