NSTRA Training - What to do NEXT?

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

NSTRA Training - What to do NEXT?

Post by PntrRookie » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:54 am

by Southern_Point
This will be my first hunting season with my first pointing dog which is an English setter. I am having help on the training from a guy who guides on a local quail preserve. He is not into trailing his dogs at all, strictly hunting dogs for the preserve. My question is if we have my dog steady to flush, whoas, and here. What else does he need to be able to do if I want to run in Nstra trials? He has very good bloodlines with two "grandparents" in nstra hall of fame. Do I need to be able to make him change directions in the field ect.?

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Re: NSTRA Training - What to do NEXT?

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:40 am

Retrieve would be a big help.lol

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:56 am

Basics are the dog can not be in motion at all till after the bird is flush
dog has to basically retrieve to with in 3 feet of the handler who can not move after the dog releases or is released for the retrieve
dog needs to back the other dog
dog can not interfere
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Southern_Point

Post by Southern_Point » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:12 am

Lol I meant to include retrieving in my post @ Brazosvalleyvizlas

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:21 pm

I am also training a pup for NSTRA. I think part of their score is how well they take directions. Join NSTRA, you will get a judging booklet. The judging rules are also on line at NSTRA.com Go to a trial, watch and ask questions. Get an invite to go in the field with some one experienced in the game. I met lots of nice people and was allowed to go into the field at the end of the day to clean the field of birds. This lets your dog get the idea of the layout of the field. There is an out of bounds. Old pro dogs know where the boundary is and know not to spend much time in the cool down water tanks ect.

KCBrittfan

Post by KCBrittfan » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:43 am

Keep in mind that NSTRA's scoring system makes it predominately a cumulative game. Its really hard for 3 finds and 3 retrieves to overcome 4 finds and 4 retrieves. Doing things well enough to score high and/or having a back when the other dog doesn't can get it done, but the easiest way to place is to find more birds. (FYI: only the first backing opportunity is scored -- dog has to have seen the bracemate on point for it to be considered an opportunity; and obviously scoring high really matters when the finds, retrieves, and back/no back are equal.)

This cumulative nature means its necessary to always have a bracemate. If a dog goes renegade and leaves the field for too long they'll disqualify him, call time out, and collar the dog still in contention while a bye dog is brought out. This somewhat levels things because it keeps a dog from having the field all to himself for too long when the rest of the competitors had to share the field.

Bottom line is that there'll only be a certain number of birds in the field when you start, so usually your dog better be able to beat his bracemate to the majority of those birds if you're going to have a chance of placing. This means that any skills (trained or natural) your dog has that gets him to the birds first will be a major asset in these trials. Superior nose and speed are the obvious skills on the list, but don't overlook superior conditioning and the ability to turn the dog at will. The later will help you cut off the bracemate and get there first when both handlers are aiming for the same spot in the field (this happens more often than you might think).

There is a lot more that goes into it, and I hope this helps you round out your training program. If you're the cautious type, then watch a trial or 2 before entering. Don't be afraid to ask a lot of questions. I've found the NSTRA folks to be very helpful to newcomers. If you're more adventuresome and feel you have the dog to get it done, then jump right in and enter him. Good Luck.

KCBrittfan

Post by KCBrittfan » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:14 am

I just read my previous post and I think I under-emphasized the need to score high. These trials usually end with more than one dog on top of the leader board with the same number of finds, retrieves, and back/no back. Consequently, high scores are vital. In general it takes a lot of style to score well. The NSTRA rule book (can be found on their website) defines the specifics of what scores high in each category -- each find, each retrieve, first back, overall obedience, and overall ground work.

Don't be discouraged if your dog is slightly weak in one area. I've seen dogs with consistently low scores in one category still win, but they usually are exceptionally high in another area to make up for it. In other words, your dog doesn't have to excel at everything to have an occasional chance in the weekend trials. On the other hand, if you're shooting for a placement in a National event, then you better have the total package.

5andaback

Post by 5andaback » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:07 pm

As a NSTRA handler/judge and trainer. The biggest mistake handlers make with their dogs is trialing them too young. I will not enter a dog in Nstra before they are 2 years old. This game can totally unwind a young dog. This being said you need to force break to retrieve no matter how (Natural) you think they retrieve. They need to be whoe broke and at least steady to shot and must have a handle on them. You need all of this to be competitive. It takes time to get training and maturity in this game. Good luck.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:48 pm

5andaback wrote:As a NSTRA handler/judge and trainer. The biggest mistake handlers make with their dogs is trialing them too young. I will not enter a dog in Nstra before they are 2 years old. This game can totally unwind a young dog. This being said you need to force break to retrieve no matter how (Natural) you think they retrieve. They need to be whoe broke and at least steady to shot and must have a handle on them. You need all of this to be competitive. It takes time to get training and maturity in this game. Good luck.

BINGO I have seen more dogs ruined by trialing them to young and they become quickly trial wise

Another mistake I see when judging is the dog standing there staunch and then the handler comes in saying WHOA WHOA WHOA ..Yes this will knock a point or two off a score because now the judge has to wonder why you have to command the dog and is it know staying on point because your are commanding it or because it is doing its job. It also can cause some dogs to loosen up because they are distracted by the handler the jabbers at them :wink:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.